North Central PA?

171farm

171farm

I plan (key word is plan) to do some fishing in the NC part of the state this year and am looking for some input. Im not looking for your GPS coordinates to your favorite hole/parking spot but would rather get some constructive information on the numerous steams in the Tioga/Potter area. Our camp is outside of Galeton and Im curious as to what streams are worth while both bait and fly? I havent fished up there for the better part of 13 years (probably longer) Id say but when I did we hit Pine Kettle and some smaller streams I dont know the name of or remember how to get there. Any pointers would be great.

Also wouldnt mind meeting up with anyone that might be in the area when/if I get a chance to get up there.

Also, send a PM to Sandfly. He lives up there and runs a small fly shop in Ansonia. He knows the area very well.

You've got 4 major drainages. Pine to the East, Kettle to the S, 1st Fork to the SW, and the Allegheny to the west.

Here's the general rule of things:

Go to Google maps. Hit terrain view. Unlike limestoners, streams grow at a slow, steady rate. You can make an awfully good estimate just with a glance at the map how big the stream is. Little streams are short and and run into bigger streams. As you go down, they grow. The longer the valley, the bigger the stream at the bottom.

EVERY STREAM HOLDS FISH, and all are pretty similar in the grand scheme. Larger waters are mostly stockies, warmer, and have better hatches. As you get smaller, you get colder and go first to wild browns, then to wild brookies, with each of these categories overlapping. Hatches also get less impressive but the fish more aggressive.

The only major exception is lakes and impoundments, which warm the water below.

It's that simple, and there's more water than you could fish in a year.

Thanks for the info. Great place to start

pcray1231 wrote:

I've been living here for almost 20 years & haven't put a dent into it!

Get a copy of the Susquehannock & Tioga State Forest maps. These are the best FREE maps for driving around the backroads & fishing here. I'm working on a project of trout streams within a 10 mile radius of Galeton & have listed well over 20 streams that are worth fishing, & all hold wild fish.

171farm,
I'll second the suggestion that you check out the Quill Gordon get-together in the spring. It's tailor made for what you're looking for. Will be a good time and you'll learn a lot about that area.

Thanks for all the replies. Hopefully my schedule will fit for the event.

If anyone would like to reply but would rather via PM thats cool too

BradFromPotter wrote:
pcray1231 wrote:

I've been living here for almost 20 years & haven't put a dent into it!

Get a copy of the Susquehannock & Tioga State Forest maps. These are the best FREE maps for driving around the backroads & fishing here. I'm working on a project of trout streams within a 10 mile radius of Galeton & have listed well over 20 streams that are worth fishing, & all hold wild fish.

I hear you! I've been going up to that area since I was a crawler. Just this past spring I discovered a new stream w/in 1/8 of a mile of my cabin. I had NO idea it was ever there! Its those gems that make that area of the state so rich. We could spend all day every day fishing and never exhaust it.

Back