North Branch Potomac help

T

trike23

I have off a few days this week and was thinking of doing a little exploring. For years have been hearing people talk about this place. I am also of the understanding that it possess cutthroats. My question is will I be able to fish with no drift boat? I know people usually drift this part of the river. I hate to make the drive just to take a look and realize im not going t be able to wade it.

Great area to explore. The best place to start accessing the NB would be the barnum access below Jennings Randolf Dam. Trails paralell both the upper and lower catch and release areas. On cloudy days you can find some terrific terrestrial fishing and nymphs always produce some fish in the faster water. Dont overlook the catch and kill area either. Savage river is close by and is worth a little of your time.

That area of western MD is a world class trout fishing destination and always worth a visit. If the NBP is fishing poorly or blown out, there are many other wild trout streams nearby not to mention the upper Yough tailrace. I'm not sure what water levels are like right now but flows on the lower Potomac are at typical low summer levels. I've always waded the NBP when I've visited.
Check the Stream Reports forum for more info. There are cutts in there although I've never caught one.

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/usa/nwis/uv?01595800

Its very wadeable right now. I was there a few weeks ago, fish weren't very cooperative. Great scenery. Wading can be tricky though. Recommend a wading staff.

My dad and I are headed out Columbus Day weekend to fish the NB and the Savage. I could use some advice on lodging in the area. Given the time of year, we're interested in a motel or cabin rental rather than tent camping. Nothing fancy necessary. Any recommendations? I'd love to get something closer to the fishing than Deep Creek, but I we may well end up using that as our base. I didn't immediately see anything in Westernport. Thanks

Will - you might want to consider the Keyser Inn in Keyser, WV. Former Econolodge, so nothing fancy, but affordable and a quick drive to the Savage. Keyser also has several places to eat, get gas, and otherwise support a fishing trip. I've stayed there quite a few times. Look em up at keyserinn.com. Hope this helps.

Thanks, Tom. Will check it out.

just got back from there this, if ur looking for a place to stay they have cabin right along the river and they arent bad at all....it was pretty tuff fishing the few days we where down very low and clear but there are a bunch of big ones in ther...i caught 5 from 20"-23". also if u fish the savage be sure to clean ur boots due to the rock snot

They had a cutthroat stocking program a few years ago but stopped, rumor is they r thinking about doing it again

Sounds great. Were you getting those big guys in the N. Branch or the Savage? Also, any idea of the names of the cabin owners or where I can get info on those? Thanks.

I got the big ones in the NB there our a bunch of them both wva and md stocked it with a lot of there breeders...the cabins u can get off of mineral county, http://www.mineralcountywv.com/parksandrecreation/cabins.asp for the price they r pretty nice but no running water

I too am looking at the NB Potomac below the dam. Can I fish with either a WV or MD non-resident license and be legal due to reciprocal agreements between those two states?
Either MD or WV, on their DNR fishing site mentioned reciprocality for licensed ~residents~ of the other state.

Yes. Either license will work. You can access at Barnum, WV. It's a very good river to fish.

I've only floated it once. Had a great time.

I did see people wading. I think finding access/trails would be the only issue. There's a lot of pools between shallow riffles. We parked the 'toons and wading in many of these pools to fish that were stacked up and feeding.

There is a trail for the upper catch and return section. About half mile. Road access for the bait kill zone and bike trail for lower catch and return. Lots of beautiful water to fish. Very wadable but treacherous.

Wade fishing is pretty tough in the N. Branch, but it is due to the bowling ball sized rocks that are very slippery, not so much the flow. I'd suggest fishing the lower catch and release stretch, cause it holds a lot of hold over trout and stocked fingerlings. The upper stretch holds more fresh stockers in my opinion. If you hook into a large rainbow, shaped like a football, with no color, and a tiny head and tail. It is most likely a West Virginia Institute Bow, which is genetically altered to grow really fast. They are fun, but I consider them mutant bows.

I emailed the Maryland Biologists earlier this year, and they advised that the cutthroat stocking program has been restarted, as of last year 2011, and I've caught a few each time I've been out this year. Good Luck and have fun exploring that water.

I bought the ebook that describes the North Branch of the Potomac very well and am planning my first trip. Opinions on a short 3 wt? Take it or leave it at home?

North Br. Potomac is big water even when the levels are way down like they are now. If I were to fish it I would use at least an 8 ft rod with preference going to a 9 ft or longer.

The non-tailwater streams out there are very, very low according to USGS

Thanks, that's what I thought based upon book and forum posts. I borrowed a ten footer, should be fun.

Back