Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: North Branch Potomac help

From sw pa
There is a trail for the upper catch and return section. About half mile. Road access for the bait kill zone and bike trail for lower catch and return. Lots of beautiful water to fish. Very wadable but treacherous.

Posted on: 2012/9/4 23:28

From Hagerstown, MD
Wade fishing is pretty tough in the N. Branch, but it is due to the bowling ball sized rocks that are very slippery, not so much the flow. I'd suggest fishing the lower catch and release stretch, cause it holds a lot of hold over trout and stocked fingerlings. The upper stretch holds more fresh stockers in my opinion. If you hook into a large rainbow, shaped like a football, with no color, and a tiny head and tail. It is most likely a West Virginia Institute Bow, which is genetically altered to grow really fast. They are fun, but I consider them mutant bows.

I emailed the Maryland Biologists earlier this year, and they advised that the cutthroat stocking program has been restarted, as of last year 2011, and I've caught a few each time I've been out this year. Good Luck and have fun exploring that water.

Posted on: 2012/9/5 8:16

From South Fayette Twp.
I bought the ebook that describes the North Branch of the Potomac very well and am planning my first trip. Opinions on a short 3 wt? Take it or leave it at home?

Posted on: 2012/9/7 16:14

From South Central PA
North Br. Potomac is big water even when the levels are way down like they are now. If I were to fish it I would use at least an 8 ft rod with preference going to a 9 ft or longer.

The non-tailwater streams out there are very, very low according to USGS

Posted on: 2012/9/7 17:53

From South Fayette Twp.
Thanks, that's what I thought based upon book and forum posts. I borrowed a ten footer, should be fun.

Posted on: 2012/9/7 21:33

From Dauphin PA
Fished it once and did manage the bow, brown, brook and cut slam. Ankle breaking wading is what I remember the most. Never got back and I'm not sure why. Maybe in 2013

Posted on: 2012/9/12 15:26

From Frederick, MD & New Philly, OH
Without a doubt THE worst river to wade next to the Savage on the East coast. In fact, the only river that has been more difficult is the Boulder River in MT north of McLeod. Don't let what I say change your mind. The Mac is simply amazing up there and you'll certainly find quality fish. Bring a staff for sure and don't fish alone. You will go under the water if you don't take your time. You'll love it up there! Be sure to explore the savage system for at least a day above the dam. You won't be disappointed with MD's brookies.

Good luck to all and be safe!

Posted on: 2012/9/12 19:43

From Chester County
Quote:

midgeman wrote:
Without a doubt THE worst river to wade next to the Savage on the East coast. In fact, the only river that has been more difficult is the Boulder River in MT north of McLeod. Don't let what I say change your mind. The Mac is simply amazing up there and you'll certainly find quality fish. Bring a staff for sure and don't fish alone. You will go under the water if you don't take your time. You'll love it up there! Be sure to explore the savage system for at least a day above the dam. You won't be disappointed with MD's brookies.

Good luck to all and be safe!

+1

Posted on: 2012/9/13 6:26

From Lehigh Valley
Quote:

midgeman wrote:
Be sure to explore the savage system for at least a day above the dam. You won't be disappointed with MD's brookies.

Did that one morning on my (only) trip there...was actually pretty disappointing. Maybe we weren't in the right area or bad timing...

Posted on: 2012/9/13 13:26

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
115 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
3 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com