Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 ... 10 »

Newly Posted Section of Elk Creek

From NE OH
Fished lower Elk Creek this morning. As you might have guessed, it was pretty awesome today.

Apparently the section of the creek between Rt 5 and the Tubes is now posted. There was a gentleman on the creek asking everyone to leave. I was already above that section at the time. A couple of guys walking above the tubes told me about the guy asking folks to leave.

When I went up to my truck for some lunch, a young man pulled up behind in a red/burgundy truck and asked me if I was headed out or just going down to the creek.

I told him I had fished all morning and was trying to decide if I wanted to go back down or move to another location. He goes on to say, "Well, just so you know, Rt 5 to the tubes is now posted." I said, "Really? Since when?" He says, "Since this season. My buddy and I have a lease on it and we are not allowing anyone to fish."

I asked him, "Can a guy get permission to fish?" He says, "Well, we're planning on selling day passes to the section."

Hmmmm....not interested! Don't get me wrong, it's a nice section, but I wouldn't pay to fish it.

Anyway, an FYI. Not really sure how to confirm the truth of this. And, as of this morning, there are no "Posted" signs. The supposed other person sharing the lease with him did come up and did say he kicked everyone out. The strange this was, the kid (and they were kids, mid-20s I'd guess) that told me it was posted had been fishing all morning, but he was fishing up at Boro Park. Now, that did not make a bit of sense to me (esp knowing my buddy and I had hooked 12 fish in the posted section earlier in the morning). If you had that section to yourself, why would you go and fish Boro Park? Oh well, do with this info what you will :-/

Posted on: 2013/10/8 19:30

Re: Newly Posted Section of Elk Creek
From Monessen, PA
I would contact PFBC, they will have their finger on whether it is true. It would not surprise me in the least that a couple locals are trying to scare folks away from their beat.

Posted on: 2013/10/8 19:38

From harlansburg
no signs? then it's not posted. signed signs means it's posted. Barbed wire means it's REALLY posted!
sounds fishy to me. not hard to get 10 bucks worth of signs at the hardware if the property really is off limits.

Posted on: 2013/10/8 19:43

From Ohio
I agree with JackM and bikerfish, somethings not right....

Posted on: 2013/10/8 19:52

From NE OH
Sent a message to PFBC. We'll see if they have anything to say about it.

Posted on: 2013/10/8 20:16

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
Sounds like a great way to get a section of creek in prime water conditions all to yourself to me. I'll be sure to have that trick in my back pocket next time I'm up! lol

See any browns in Elk?

Posted on: 2013/10/8 20:56

From Da 'Berg, PA
sounds like a scam to me. scare people off. buy a few signs and charge people to get back on...

show me your lease fella ;o)

Posted on: 2013/10/8 21:20

From Erie Co.
send it to the" fishing hole" was not posted last sunday

Posted on: 2013/10/8 21:55

From Sweet Valley
Call the PFBC NW Law Enforcement Office, that will be the quickest way to get answers (814) 337-0444

Posted on: 2013/10/9 7:05

From NE OH
Quote:

allan_s wrote:
Call the PFBC NW Law Enforcement Office, that will be the quickest way to get answers (814) 337-0444

Thanks Allan. I just called. The officer that is over that area is out today, but I was able to talk to another officer. He took all the information and said he was not aware of that section being posted. He agreed that it sounds strange, but he would share the information with the other officer and that he would give me a call in a day or 2. He seemed pleased that I called him with the info so it could be checked on.

Anyway, I have to think they would know who the actual land owners are because they obviously try to negotiate easements. So, hopefully its as simple as a phone call on their part to verify this. I agree is sounds strange, but it needs to be verified if true and stopped if not true.

Posted on: 2013/10/9 9:29

From Monessen, PA
You did the right thing. I would have left, unless I was the bigger man, in which case I would have asked for verification of his claims. I'm glad you called PFBC. They are vitally interested in this fishery, and have been working on landowner relationships for years, as have some local groups. Any new posting of access, legitimate or not, should come to their attention.

If this group is unauthorized, they only need 3 days of uncertainty to enjoy a stretch of land to themselves. I would bet they wish they had waited for a better rain event and larger run.

Posted on: 2013/10/9 9:35

From Other side of the tracks
Quote:

bikerfish wrote:
no signs? then it's not posted. signed signs means it's posted. Barbed wire means it's REALLY posted!
sounds fishy to me. not hard to get 10 bucks worth of signs at the hardware if the property really is off limits.

Just to clarify, posted signs do not have to be signed in order to be valid.

I've heard numerous reasons why people think certain signs are not valid, like not signed, not the right height, not the right spacing. Cannot be attached directly to a tree, etc, etc,

All false assumptions. If you see a posted sign, then it is posted.

Not sure how to handle it of someone "claiming" to be the land owner asked me to vacate even if there no signs. I personally would vacate without asking for proof of ownership, and then MAYBE investigate who actually does own it. In most counties that info is available online.

Posted on: 2013/10/9 9:48

From Pittsburgh
I fished north of the section in question this morning. Ran into 3 guys that said they were asked to leave while they were fishing through. Dude at Elk Ck Sports also said he was aware that it was reportedly posted but he didn't confirm that it was legal or just a scam. He said the nursery owns the land south of the Conrail tubes but everything north of there was owned by individuals. Best to just wait to hear from the PFBC.

btw the fishing sucked.

Posted on: 2013/10/9 9:56

From NE OH
The fishing didn't suck yesterday But I'm guessing she's low and clear this morning. They were fresh and hot yesterday. The section above the tubes was not exceptional yesterday either. Between my buddy and I, we had landed about 12 chromers by 8:30 yesterday morning in the "posted" section. It was fast and furious.

Posted on: 2013/10/9 10:02

From Monessen, PA
Dave, "All false assumptions. If you see a posted sign, then it is posted."

Well, it is posted, but who is to say by anyone in authority?

For the Steelhead Jam, why not buy a few dozen POSTED signs and tak them on trees where you intend to fish? If a stretch of stream was formerly open to public access and suddenly was restricted, wouldn't you think the landowner would do something more than sending out a few 20-somethings to verbally inform people of this significant change.

My money is on hoax, and I hope there is some means to punish the offenders.

Posted on: 2013/10/9 10:05

(1) 2 3 4 ... 10 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com