HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 10 »

Re: Newly Posted Section of Elk Creek
From Monessen, PA
Quote:

PatrickC wrote:
The fishing didn't suck yesterday ...we had landed about 12 chromers by 8:30 yesterday morning...

Sorry for your terrible luck.

Posted on: 2013/10/9 10:07

From Pittsburgh
Quote:

PatrickC wrote:
The fishing didn't suck yesterday But I'm guessing she's low and clear this morning. They were fresh and hot yesterday. The section above the tubes was not exceptional yesterday either. Between my buddy and I, we had landed about 12 chromers by 8:30 yesterday morning in the "posted" section. It was fast and furious.

Yup. You hit it just right. I picked the wrong day. I would've bet a paycheck that it would've taken 48 hours to run off and I would've ended up broke.

Posted on: 2013/10/9 10:30

I can confirm the posting. Whether it's legit or not, who knows.

We were run off by folks who said they have a lease from the property owner. They claimed the reason the landowner posted the land was because he was tired of all the people walking through his yard. If this is the case, I don't blame the guy for posting it. There are other ways to access the area than to walk past his windows, and I can understand how that would get old, but there are other ways of dealing with that kind of situation if that was the only issue. Adding the lease into play makes me think the owner had other motives in hanging the yellow signs.

The guys claimed they "hated having to kick people off," which I found funny. As if someone had a gun to their head when they set the lease up and agreed to enforce it? Interestingly, they also seemed relatively ignorant to the who's and what's of the issues that leasing is causing within the fishery. I really hope these guys understand what they are playing part to, and made it a point to tell them that in as nice a way as possible. I'm sure the steam shooting out of my ears was a bit hard to hide...

To my knowledge, this is the first lease on a truly high traffic/easy access area of the creek. I wished them luck with enforcing the posting on such a busy area, and told them to be prepared for people who aren't as accepting of this as we were (not a threat, but this is a very real possibility). Their "exclusive" piece of water may not be worth it if someone less diplomatic takes exception to being kicked out.

Last we saw, there were three signs posted. Two on a debris pile near the busted blocks between Rt. 5 and Conrail (which look like they won't survive the next high water event), and one about 10' up in a tree on river left on the downstream side of the Conrail tubes.

I can't confirm how true this is, but there was also talk that the section downstream is going to be posted soon, and also that Uncle John's may be going up for sale soon too. Which leads to me wondering what PFBC's breaking point is regarding the amount of posted land and the feasibility of keeping this sideshow going? I highly doubt any hard percentage has been assigned to this, but the way things are going as of late, they may have to start kicking that around.

On a lighter note, by early October standards, fishing was hot and heavy until about 11 when the water dropped/cleared and the sun got high enough to stop the fish from moving.

Posted on: 2013/10/9 11:33

From Sweet Valley
Public Steelhead Easements

For those curious what can be posted and what can't, take a look at this link. The PFBC has all the land easements marked on this interactive map. I am not too familiar with that section of Elk Creek, but it would seem possible that it is posted as it is one of the very few sections that don't have an easement signed.

Those guys who are responsible for getting people off that land are putting their lives in jeopardy. You couldn't pay me to kick people off Elk Creek once the big crowds are there. I don't think they know what they signed up for.

Posted on: 2013/10/9 11:45

From Monessen, PA
I can assure you that excessive posting will result in the smolts being planted elsewhere. Still, I have my doubts about the legitimacy of this. A smart landowner would use his/her name, address and phone number on any signs, would notify PFBC and would post on fisherie to declare his/her assertion of rights.

Posted on: 2013/10/9 12:12

From LV
If they force people to pay a fee to fish, they also have to enforce the regs, and patrol it 24/7.

Posted on: 2013/10/9 12:42

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Quote:
Dave, "All false assumptions. If you see a posted sign, then it is posted."

Well, it is posted, but who is to say by anyone in authority?

Dave's right. The law is that if you see anything indicating you can't be there, you can't be there. There are guidelines for landowners. i.e. it is a valid defense if you entered the property and did not see any signs, hence the guidelines for landowners use on spacing, etc. which prevent this from happening. But for you, if you see just 1 single sign, you know you can't go on that property. If you don't know his boundaries, well, it's on YOU to figure them out, as it is publicly available information.

Quote:
why not buy a few dozen POSTED signs and tak them on trees where you intend to fish?

Hey, Donny Beaver did just that! (as do many other landowners on public streams throughout the state).

Posted on: 2013/10/9 13:03

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Quote:
I can assure you that excessive posting will result in the smolts being planted elsewhere.

Good one!

Posted on: 2013/10/9 13:12

From NE OH
Hey Dave, it's official...you're right

Posted on: 2013/10/9 13:19

From Other side of the tracks
PatrickC, We need to make it up there in the near future, but I'm not opposed to buying an Ohio license, either.

Just don't make fun of my old waders, either.

This weekend is probably out anyway. Got work to do on the farm.

Posted on: 2013/10/9 13:58

From NE OH
Quote:

FarmerDave wrote:
PatrickC, We need to make it up there in the near future, but I'm not opposed to buying an Ohio license, either.

Just don't make fun of my old waders, either.

This weekend is probably out anyway. Got work to do on the farm.

This weekend is out anyway....I'll be in MI. 11 crazy people (most of whom are actually from PA) are going on a trip I'm hosting on Pere Marquette. So, not next week, but starting the week after that if it rains....we'll see if we can make it happen. You know how to reach me

Ain't worried about them old waders

Posted on: 2013/10/9 14:01

Don't test me. I think I still have an old pair of neoprene waders with the patch on the left cheek.

Posted on: 2013/10/9 14:18

I just remembered, I might be using the smoke pole this weekend instead of the bamboo pole.

Posted on: 2013/10/9 14:24

From WNY
It's not a done deal. At least not yet.

Posted on: 2013/10/9 16:12

From Ohio
First of all, as many of you already may know, NEVER trust anything you read on the FishErie website. But...

I've been following this thread a little bit, and some are saying that one of the shops could be behind it. Chances are it's not true(the bait shop part), and like I said never trust everything on that site. Just throwing it out there....

Posted on: 2013/10/9 16:20

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 10 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com