Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3)

Re: New Penns Creek Information

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
For pictures, either way, you have to hit the blue reply button, rather than using the "quick" reply at the bottom of each page. But there are 2 methods.

1. You can attach images to the post. But they have to be really small or they won't take. Maximum file size 250k. You use the "attach file" at the bottom, browse for the pic, upload it, and if it's a small enough file the picture will appear at the bottom of your post.

2. Upload the photo to an online site like photobucket. These sites give each photo an address. Copy it. Then when you compose your message, there's a button for that. Looks like a little head at the top, just to the left of the "manager" button. Click it, and it asks you for a URL, paste the image address there. At the next prompt, type in L (for left aligned) and hit enter. At the next one, specify a size, I usually use 500 width. Hit ok, and it'll throw some gobblygook in your message. Don't mess with it, it's right, and when you hit submit that'll be your picture.

Posted on: 2012/8/9 8:36

From Central, PA
pcray the area he said they shocked is not even great water thru there ill take those numbers. Ive caught monsters in there i know whats there

Posted on: 2012/8/9 8:49

From Central, PA

Nothing like fishing in the canyon and and thunderstorm echos thru there its quite a sound and show.

Posted on: 2012/8/9 8:50

From Hershey
Just curious if the area they surveyed has good habitat and temperatures. Do fish generally hold there through the summer? Is it an area fish migrate into or out of when the water gets hot?

The reason I ask is because someone reported earlier that the survey was done in the middle of one of the heatwaves we experienced. It seems that could really skew the results.

Hopefully some of the locals can give some specifics on the precise stretch they surveyed.

Posted on: 2012/8/9 9:54

Walk up the river to the cedar trees, follow the sun and catch a nice cool breeze

River

The majority of the TT stretch is a thermal refuge for Penns creek trout.

Posted on: 2012/8/9 10:37

"pcray the area he said they shocked is not even great water thru there ill take those numbers. Ive caught monsters in there i know whats there"

Second that, I would not go to the TT section if I were hunting for hogs on Penns. They get lot of fish through there, but there are other sections where there is less abundance, but more 17"+ browns. IMO, the TT section (out of all the class A water below Coburn) has the smallest average fish size, and recent shock data supports this.

Posted on: 2012/8/9 12:01

PCRAY.... in those survey reports, was there any info in there about the numbers of fish over 14" in the C&R.

Or did you just pull those off the PFBC website/biologist reports page? I don't think they have any Section 4/C&R area results in those reports.

Posted on: 2012/8/9 12:53

I just pulled them off of the PFBC website. At least it's a comparison of the same stretch, though as I said, this years numbers were not complete. I'm assuming Ingleby's numbers were rounded, as well as being a small subset of the sampling that was done. It was just to get an idea of what to expect, I don't claim it to be fully accurate. The PFBC will publish the sampling numbers in due time, I'm sure.

As far as the C&R stretch, in another thread, Mike clearly explained why it's an error to directly compare the numbers or size in different sampling sites. It's not apple's to apples, they're different sampling sites with different habitat. In this case, the C&R is bigger, deeper water, so you'd expect it to harbor a better size range even if it were under the exact same regulations. That makes it difficult to discern which differences can be attributed to management and which can be attributed to habitat.

Posted on: 2012/8/9 15:08

Yes, past biologist reports DO show the number of fish over 14" in the TT section. The TT regs went into effect in 1995. Here are the numbers of 14" and above fish in the surveys since then.

1997: 48 fish/mile
1999: 82 fish/mile
2001: 222 fish/mile
2005: 381 fish/mile
2007: 251 fish/mile
2012: We don't know yet, but initial reports look positive, my back of the envelope calculation on a sub-sample was in the 350's.

Posted on: 2012/8/9 15:21

From lancaster
I totally agree...I know there are fish over 20 in there....its one of the best stretches on this stream to fish. Great dry fly action. Best set of rapids for nymphing above and below the parking lot. I hope they keep it the same. No reason to fix something that is not broke!!!!

Posted on: 2012/8/10 9:24

From Pittsburgh
How can we consistently be warned not to fish in warm water yet they are allowed to shock 400 fish to the surface during high temps? Surely, fish were killed due to this. Maybe I'll just start fishing wherever and whenever I want.....

Posted on: 2012/8/10 15:08

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the reason fish died when caught in warm water conditions was that after the fight they cannot absorb enough oxygen from the water to flush the lactic acid out of their system. I would assume that shocking the water does not exaust the fish like catching it on the fly, so it won't kill them.

That's just what someone told me,...sounds reasonable, but anyone know for sure?

Posted on: 2012/8/10 16:29

From LV
I want to see the survey databefore I comment.

Posted on: 2012/8/10 18:49

From Shamokin, Pa & Ingleby, Pa
I dont know the exact temperature but I remember it was a chilly wet morning the first day they were there, in fact they had to wait for the thunderstorms to past befor they began, and several of us watching had jackets and sweatshirts on. It was June 25th and 26th the days that they shocked and then they were back that Friday for a 3rd count. Im sure its on a site somewhere what the temps were those days. The shocking did absolutley no damage to the fish. From the time the fish were dipped, put in the holding nets, measured, clipped and put back into the water I personally did not see any fish float or seem unhealthy. It really an amazing process that I would love to see again.

Posted on: 2012/8/13 13:52

From Hershey
25th and 26th were Ok. Looks like State College hit 97 on that Friday. Not ideal but probably didn't kill many fish considering temps were relatively cool prior to the heatwave.

Posted on: 2012/8/13 16:51

Walk up the river to the cedar trees, follow the sun and catch a nice cool breeze

« 1 2 (3)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com