New Penns Creek Information

Hook_Jaw

Hook_Jaw

Ive heard no new information on Penns Creek proposed plans anyone hear anything or have anything new news?

The biologist told me the numbers look good and he see's no reason to change the way it is. He gave the higher-ups all the info, now we just have to wait, and hope it stays the way it is. He said that decisions wont be made for a few more months.

Thanks for the info which one is your camp Im thru there all the time I don't think Ive ever seen you up

The last one below the weather rock....Im there all the time. I think I've only missed 2 weekends all year

ok the one right alongthe train bed walking path to the right

Ingleby - Define 'numbers look good?' How many over 14"? Or is that 'small trout water' they shocked?

I'm assuming from his post he wasn't given details, just a broad level "looks good". Give the man a break!

The first 2 days they were there the count was almost 400 from 100 yrds below my camp to the bottom of Wingards hole. there was over 60 legal fish the biggest was 17". They were there again the following Friday and had several 17" and 2 that was 18"....not bad for a 300 yrd stretch. Yes Hook_Jaw. the last one rite by the parking lot.

It would be interesting to see how many fish 14" or greater are shocked from the TT section vs the C&R. It sounds like the water shocked was in fact "big fish" habitat. By "legal" fish, it is assumed greater than 14" and not the typical PFBC size limit.

PC - I think VC was looking for a little clarification since the post only gave generalizations and an "opinion" rather than any significant findings or data. Why not give him a break!!!

Ok, I was wrong. :) Sorry.

Good info Ingleby. 60/400 being over 14" is very impressive. I realize your numbers/distances are guestimates, and it's only a part of the sampling at that. So I'm taking this way too far. But anyways:

400 fish/300 yards = 2352 fish/mile. Would actually be the lowest total of the now 6 surveys which were taken since the TT went into effect.

60 legal fish/300 yards = 352 legal fish/mile. That's slightly lower than the 05 survey, but considerably higher than 97, 99, 01, and 07 surveys. By %, it's the highest % of total fish being legal size.

Ingleby Ok Ive seen you there many times I usually bike thru there fishing

Anybody who knows the stream is not surprised by good numbers and decent sized trout we all know theres monster trout in there

we all know theres monster trout in there.

Will wait and see numbers, but thus far, no reports whatsoever about "monsters" being found. 18" was the biggest. 18" is a heck of a fish, but not a monster, IMO.

Im sure Ive seen you. Heading up there later this morning, hopfully the storms arent to bad.

I emailed Jason, (the biologist from PFBC) I asked him to send me some numbers from when they were there. I know he is very busy so as soon as I here back from him I will be sure to post on here. Is there a way to attach pictures on here? I have a few from the day they shocked

For pictures, either way, you have to hit the blue reply button, rather than using the "quick" reply at the bottom of each page. But there are 2 methods.

1. You can attach images to the post. But they have to be really small or they won't take. Maximum file size 250k. You use the "attach file" at the bottom, browse for the pic, upload it, and if it's a small enough file the picture will appear at the bottom of your post.

2. Upload the photo to an online site like photobucket. These sites give each photo an address. Copy it. Then when you compose your message, there's a button for that. Looks like a little head at the top, just to the left of the "manager" button. Click it, and it asks you for a URL, paste the image address there. At the next prompt, type in L (for left aligned) and hit enter. At the next one, specify a size, I usually use 500 width. Hit ok, and it'll throw some gobblygook in your message. Don't mess with it, it's right, and when you hit submit that'll be your picture.

pcray the area he said they shocked is not even great water thru there ill take those numbers. Ive caught monsters in there i know whats there

Nothing like fishing in the canyon and and thunderstorm echos thru there its quite a sound and show.

Just curious if the area they surveyed has good habitat and temperatures. Do fish generally hold there through the summer? Is it an area fish migrate into or out of when the water gets hot?

The reason I ask is because someone reported earlier that the survey was done in the middle of one of the heatwaves we experienced. It seems that could really skew the results.

Hopefully some of the locals can give some specifics on the precise stretch they surveyed.

River

The majority of the TT stretch is a thermal refuge for Penns creek trout.

Back