Near Bashore Bay Boy Scout Camp Dauphin County

gfig19

gfig19

Talking with a few folks from work that hike the AT in that area and they found a small dam pond that holds native fingerling trout, ect. Can anyone else confirm this? I looked at the map, tough to see any small runs or streams in that area....they affirm by it, hmmm?

Gfig,
This is the sort of thing that local folks "in the know" are likely to be very tight lipped about. Why not do some exploring and check out the rumor(?). Might make for a fun hike/fishing trip.

gfig - Camp Bashore is in northern Lebanon County. The small stream that runs through it (and is impounded to make the lake at the camp) is an UNT to Trout Run. I believe the lake there is stocked with trout. I don't know if you can fish the stream on the camp property or if it has any mill ponds/dams further up. Even down where it meets Trout Run it is rather small though.

Trout Run runs along the AT for a while in that area and I think that's likely the stream your friends are talking about. It is a small ATW that also holds a VERY limited population of wild Brookies and gets pounded pretty good at the beginning of Trout season. There is a decent section of it to fish in Swatara SP but it is really a marginal trout stream at best. The presence of Rock Bass, Smallies, and a "Class A" population of Fallfish should attest to its marginal status as a trout stream. I'm not trying to discourage you from checking it out, just temper your expectations. I'm not aware of any small dams or mill ponds on it either, not to say there aren't any though.

AT "used" to run through or by Camp Bashore years ago, but it was rerouted through Swatara State Park 10 years ago. AT crosses Trout Run at Rt 443 then follows a small tributary a half-mile before heading back toward the mountain. There is a pond at Bashore but Ive seen none on the AT in that area.

Back