Mud Run in Hickory Run State Park

R

rasoff777

Hey y'all. Just thought I would put it out there that Mud Run up in Hickory Run State Park is awesome. And there are certainly trout there, forgive me for being a newbie, but they were invisible for the first few hours.

Fletch and I caught a lot of trout and each had the best fishing day of our lives.

If you haven't been there, go, especially when the Rodas are blooming!!! It must be spectaculer!!!

Wooly Buggers, dead drifted Muddler Minnow, nymphs.

We went to the access road off of 534 to the east of the North East Extension (476). Park in the parking lot, head down the road after the barier, once you hit the creek, we headed down to the first falls/rapids, crossed over and then went through the woods to the next pool.

Deep pools, lot's of riffles. Kinda hard access. I suggest if you don't have studded soles or felt to bring a Staff.

Hope this makes someones day! Tight lines y'all!

rasoff777

I love Mud Run, haven't been there in a couple of years, glad to hear it's fishing well.

rasoff777 wrote:
Fletch and I caught a lot of trout and each had the best fishing day of our lives.
This is the complete opposite of everything I've heard/read about Mud Run. Did they dump a bunch of stockers in there?

wildtrout2 wrote:
rasoff777 wrote:
This is the complete opposite of everything I've heard/read about Mud Run. Did they dump a bunch of stockers in there?

As in the past, Mud Run was stocked in the Park (on 4/11 according to the FBC stocking list). It is usually stocked in the organized camping area, where there's a gated road that is opened for the stocking truck to drive in close to the stream. A few hundred yards downstream of the access road, the stream bends and ends in big glide and cliff. Few, if any stocked fish are found downstream of that point. HTH.

I was there when they stocked and thankfully we had plenty of help to really spread the fish out. I can tell you it's a long haul from the top of the hill to the stream carrying 2 buckets at a time.

We hit it the next morning and had some fun with the brookies.

not worth the hike unless your photographer. nicest dead water you'll ever see. hawk run is good though albeit small.

Was there last spring and didn't catch a single stockie, but did catch some of the most beautiful wild browns ever. I still will never understand why iyt is stocked, IT's a WILD TROUT STREAM PFBC, IT DOESN"T NEED TO BE STOCKED.

Chaz wrote:
Was there last spring and didn't catch a single stockie, but did catch some of the most beautiful wild browns ever. I still will never understand why iyt is stocked, IT's a WILD TROUT STREAM PFBC, IT DOESN"T NEED TO BE STOCKED.

Chaz,

First time I have ever heard you gush about wild brown trout!:-o

You may remember back, maybe 20 years ago, the FBC took Mud Run off the stocking list for a few years. During those years, the Commish felt the angler usage of the stream declined (actually it did). I was happy and you would have been happy fishing MR back then, but the FBC nixed the idea and put it back on the stocking list.

The upper section in the Park is stocked, the middle and lower section of HRSP has pretty much all wilds, and the sections below the park are stocked pretty heavily by private clubs, almost all the way down to the mouth at Lehigh River.

This is a weird thread...A dynamite stream report, the stream's dead, Chaz singing the praises of Brownies...I don't know what to believe!

Was in the area on vacation last week. Fished the run for about 3hrs, had a few rise and caught a native on a BWO. First time there, didn't venture too far from access point.

This is a weird thread...A dynamite stream report, the stream's dead, Chaz singing the praises of Brownies...I don't know what to believe!

Simple really; the stocked water is loaded with fish, the rest is barren. Just like Hickory Run.

From last week on the Mud Run

Attachments

• DSCN9564a.JPG
    DSCN9564a.JPG
    34.6 KB · Views: 39
The stocked water IS NOT LOADED WITH FISH!

This stream is hit pretty hard by the poachers and it does not take long to rip most out. That being said, I spoke with a WCO whom I know very well, and there was a law enforcement presence there on opening day.

The PAFBC had a better day than most of the would be poachers.

This thread is amusing to say the least. I've fished MR on and off for at least 10 yrs. Yes there is wild trout, (throughout) and yes I've seen pouching first hand in the usual spots (this is the Poconos after all...*sigh* )I've had great days, and I've been skunked many times too. I've caught 4" brooks and 15" beat up hatchery rainbows with 3 fins and one eye. I will say that to truly know this stream you need to do a ton of bushwacking, and be tops in your wading game. You will not be blessed with reliable fishing on Mud Run, but if you put in enough time and get to know it, you may think its just worth all the trouble to fish it, or you may say, beautiful stream, but no thanks.

The appeal for me is it's hard ground to cover, few if any fishermen, and it doesn't just give up the goods easily, you have to earn the good days. (well unless you're lucky enough to hit it just right)

CLSports wrote:

Simple really; the stocked water is loaded with fish, the rest is barren. Just like Hickory Run.
Stocked section fished out, wild trout doing fine. Couldn't buy a brookie though.
As for Hickory Run, loads of brookies above the road, below the sewer plant, it's just not productive.

Chaz wrote:
As for Hickory Run, loads of brookies above the road, below the sewer plant, it's just not productive.

Gotta agree with that. This is beautiful country, but definitely not the most productive trout water. Black/Hayes was beautiful country with very few fish. I've never fished Mud Run, but I'd have to suspect it's similar in nature to Hickory. I don't fish this area with high expectations, but instead just enjoy the surroundings. If I happen to hook into some decent fish, it's a bonus.

Hickory Run from the road down to the river used to be loaded with wild trout, a mix of browns and brookies. If it's not now, then something happened to cause that deterioration.

Does anyone know the scoop on this?

The sewer plant perhaps?

Black has pressure from people fishing off the road at the confluence and walking up and into the stream. I don't know if the FC stocks at the confluence, but saw a lot of people there with dead fish. All 3 are on a lot of public property, shame they are declining.

Right tough hike and wade to remote parts of mud run. Not a lot of fish, generally speaking. If you put "mud run poconos gwboater" in youtube, a kayaking video. Wading much of the lower part of mud run is too much for me -- even in low water.

Back