Montana Streams???

A

awojo

I am heading to Montana for a two week vacation this July. I will be just south of Helena. Looking for any info on streams in the area, hatches, what flies to tie for the trip, etc. Anyone know of any forums like the paflyfish for out that way??? Any help or advice would be great.
Thanks!!!

I'm going out there this summer also. Check out this site. Just excellent.

http://www.bigskyfishing.com/River-Fishing/River-Fishing.htm

Of course , the missouri river is a top notch trout stream.
I spent a few days on it once - fishing around the town of craig.
Dynamite trico hatch every morning there in late summer.
I would also add that the scenery around that river is quite spectacular too

What weeks in July? Remember that in Montana early July is like early spring. The waters can still be high from snow melt depending on the snow pack in the mountains. July can be very exciting if you can catch the salmon fly hatch. This stone fly dry can be almost 2 inches long and the big browns are looking up for a big mouthful. Enjoy the trip.

If you're wading then travel to tail race below Holter dam.

You can get to the Missouri River from Helena quite easily, the area to fish below the dam is below Wolf Creek access. I think you can get to the Upper Missouri River but never was there. Just over the divide is the Blackfoot River. You can also get to Glacier NP, so there will be plenty of good fishing near Helena. That's what I know about, I'm sure there are other streams that will produce that time of the year for you.

The drive to Yellowstone is well worth it! Early in July look to the Madison, the Galiton, and the Firehole. Later in July look to Slough Creek, the Lamar and Soda Butte. I was there last summer and I can't wait to plan the return trip!

Back