Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Montana Advice

From Ebensburg, PA
Hello all,

My 2 brothers and I are planning a trip to Montana next year and I'm a bit overwhelmed with all of the aspects of the trip. I have searched this topic and read some on here, however I thought it would be helpful to get some fresh information etc.

Southwest montana is where we're headed, flying into Bozeman. Any thoughts / suggestions on bodies of water, guides, lodging, rental car etc would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

JEFF

Posted on: 2013/10/16 14:18

Re: Montana Advice

It's hard to go wrong out there. Depending on how long you're there you can fish out of Bozeman, West Yellowstone, Gardiner, Cody, WY or other places. I've stayed mostly at locally owned motels rather than chains and more often than not for under $100 a night. If you're camping there are lots of options.

I rent a car from the Bozeman airport. I've searched for cheaper options but haven't found any. I have found that it pays to keep looking at rates even after you reserve a car as rates sometimes come down.

Guides/shops I've been happy with include North Fork Anglers out of Cody, Parks out of Gardiner, Slide Inn (Galloup) on the Madison, Blue Ribbon Flies in West Yellowstone and 4 Rivers out of Twin Bridges. While it's ALL good I've had the most action out of Cody and Twin Bridges. I tried the latter for the first time this past summer.

If you're out there in August you might rent a boat on Hebgen Lake for "gulpers", large (mostly) rainbows that feed on the callabaetis hatches. I've been hit and miss with that but when you hit it right it's lots of fun.

If you want some specifics on motels and waters feel free to PM me.

Posted on: 2013/10/16 20:24

From Chadds Ford, PA
Great information here.....if you haven't found it already.

http://www.bigskyfishing.com/River-Fishing/River-Fishing.htm

Posted on: 2013/10/16 20:49

From Ohio
Great area to fish. If you have time explore some of the water in Idaho too.

Posted on: 2013/10/17 7:35

I have bicycle toured and camped through a substantial portion of SW Montana. Depending upon how far SW you want to go in Montana, the Beaverhead River is well known as it the Big Hole River. I have a particular liking for the Big Hole Valley as the scenery is something to behold. There is also a beautiful limestoner-like spring creek north of Dillon and just off the main road that made me want to stop pedaling and pull out rod. My biologist colleagues tell me that I made a mistake....I should have fished. Camping is great in Montana, Idaho, and Wyoming, and if you are looking to save a lot of money as well as get the entire outdoor experience, I'd recommend it. It is so enjoyable in the west, in fact, that my wife and I prefer it over cabins and motels. We have camped primarily in National Forest campgrounds, but I have seen campsites established at fishing access points along some of the major, well-known fishing rivers, but I have no experience with those.

Posted on: 2013/10/17 10:05

From Bucks County
Just a note. When you’re looking at rental car options, try to get one with unlimited mileage. You can eat a up a lot of miles in hurry out there. Good luck!

Posted on: 2013/10/17 12:55

From Johnstown, Pa
flythrower,

Check your PM.

Posted on: 2013/10/18 10:53

From Oxford, Chester Co., PA
You might try the St. Joe River in the Idaho panhandle. It is a Wild and Scenic river surrounded by National Forest. Access is easy and the streamside camping is free. You want to fish above the town of Avery. I fished it first wk in September and did very well. Regs are C&R for wild cuthroats. I didn't catch anything but cuts. River also has Bull Trout, which I believe are more active in the fall.

Posted on: 2013/10/18 12:51

From Oxford, Chester Co., PA
St. Joe River Idaho panhandle

Attach file:

jpg  IMG-20130831-01279resized.jpg (49.23 KB)
151_52616e69d0dfe.jpg 348X261 px

Posted on: 2013/10/18 13:23

From LV
Stayaway from West Yellowstone, if you want to avoid tourists. Otherwise there are plenty of places to go. Dillon is good, the streams around there are quite good. Beavhead is the headwaters of the Missouri R. and that is very good fishing as well as tributaries of it. A trip for a couple of days to Missoula is also posible depending on the time you have.

Posted on: 2013/10/18 16:53

From Twenymile to Turkey Creek
flythrower,ya its Montana, but you still catch fish the same way here as there. Don't let it throw you off of your stroke.

Posted on: 2013/10/21 6:05

From Ebensburg, PA
Thanks guys, for all of the information.

Wetfly01 - check your PM

brookieaddict - very true.....it is Montana and a big trip but important to remember the basics and not get off of your game. The fish aren't any smarter out there.

Posted on: 2013/10/21 11:14

"The fish aren't any smarter out there. "

They're also, in general, larger and more plentiful. You'll have a blast.

Posted on: 2013/10/24 10:02

From G-side AKA GLENSIDE
i think anyone agrees that wherever you go you will have a blast. Montana changed me. i can attribute most of my trout success to this trip. im sure all the guides oout there know how to get you on fish but if you want a suggestion we went out with wild trout outfitters and our guide was Bryce Connery. guy was top notch. put us on fish and taught me a ton. we fished the gallitan river it not the best stream out there but it worked for me. also fished in Wyoming for cuts which was cool to.

http://wildtroutoutfitters.com/our-guides/

http://www.paflyfish.com/forums/open- ... h-general-forum/montana/2,9312,103348.html#forumpost103348

Posted on: 2013/10/29 8:38

i second 4 rivers in twin bridges. I was there 1 year ago and had a fantastic time. numbers and size are out of this world. great bunch of guides and their package deal is great. BTW there is no night life in twin bridges

Posted on: 2013/10/29 12:59

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
125 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
3 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com