Maiden

blueheron

blueheron

Went to get the tree today in Virginville and as always my eyes strayed to the riffles and runs of Maiden creek. I always make a mental note to get back over to fish this water but never get there. Anybody fish this beautiful stream? I'll take my answer off the air so as not to step on anyone's toes. ho ho ho

It's stocked in the spring and doesn't hold anything over, with the posible exception of the mouth of tribs.

Thanks, it looks like good water.

Chaz is correct, but it is worthwhile fishing in spring for stocked trout as it is a larger (wider) stream than the norm in SE Pa. It also has some nice hatches. The rare fly angler fishing there on opening day can do very well with PT nymphs...that's all I have to say about that.
It is also stocked for quite some length....from Kempton to the dam in Lenhartsville, so there is plenty of elbow room. If you snoop around on the off season you may be able to find some of the more picturesque spots. There are some to be found.

You should try Sacony Creek. I think that stream has some wild fish.

I'm surprised that there aren't enough springs and seeps to keep the water temperatures down in the summer, geologically , the dutchies settled around the limestoners and this area sure didn't get overdeveloped.

Well the warming starts in the headwaters, even though there are good wild trout streams in the headwaters. Even brookie streams, But there is Leaser Lake to warm it and I assume another dam from what Mike said. Some of the tribs are even too warm for trout.
I'd bet the original forests were removed in the early 1700's, that's what happened in the Perkiomen Watershed. The biggest difference there is the Perky has cold water tributaries and is smaller, even though the flood plain is very wide for the Perkys size. The Lehigh River used to pass through South Mountain at Leibert Gap as opposed to where it empties into the Big 'D' now. The ice age changed that. Not sure exactly how that came about, but that's the history, and it explains the name Perkiomen too (place where cranberries grow).

I have only fished it for opening day, but have done very well.

Back