Lycoming creek

hoyt-tec201

hoyt-tec201

Hey everyone I was fishing Lycoming creek tonight by trout run and there were fish rushing everywhere but no matter what I tried I couldn't get any to take my fly. It was my third time out and honestly I have no idea bug wise what I'm looking for. If any one could help with what hatches are going on or what to use the help would be greatly appreciated.

A good bet would be the trout were taking caddis, if trout were present. I base this on the billions of caddis I saw on Pine Creek over the weekend. If you were seeing splashing rises that's what they were taking.

yeah we had three of us fishing only one of us has been fly fishing and he has only seriously for about a year. We couldnt catch one of the bugs to get a pic but we will try some if i can get ahold of some

i've fished lycoming creek for many years and sometimes it's a very frustrating creek to fish. but on the other hand it can b very rewarding if u can figure things out. right now is just the start of the fun on lycoming creek. the water is starting to level out and warm up. so if ur going to b fishing it in the next week or so here's a head start on some flies to try out:
dry flies: caddis, little blue wing olive, quill gordon
nymph: pheasant tail, hare's ear, caddis, quill gordon, blue wing olive, prince nymph
soon the fun begins with the march brown one of the more predominant bugs that comes off. the sulphurs and slate drake r 2 more fun ones to try and hit. i fish the delayed harvest section of the stream atleast 3 times a week most of the time more.i try to hit other sections other times during the week. so if u need a heads up on whats going on in/on the water just look me up. hope this helps.

Back