Looking for some fishing locations closer to home

rudeone

rudeone

I live just south of Pittsburgh and I would love to be able to do more fishing than what I would do typically. My problem is that I lost my fishing partner and he and I would always head out to Penn's, Spring or the Little J, all of which are 3- 3 1/2 hrs away. I have been to Neshanock and the Yough, but I was looking for some other areas. My issues are I need to find some decent trout fishing close to home so I can take my son out more often. I need to get him away from that damned playstation. Not looking to spot burn so PM me please if anyone has some suggestions.

Thanks in advance,

Rudeone

try the PFBC county guide on your nearest county on their website - they have maps, regs and stocking info.

By no means a comprehensive list but a few that came to mind:

North of Pittsburgh

Slippery Rock Creek- gets a good white fly hatch in late summer

Pine Creek- off RT8 seasonal stocked fish

Bull Creek- same as Pine

South-

Chartiers Creek is good for warm water fishing. I have caught tons of small mouth there- parts are very industrialized, some are fairly tranquil. You can also try the section below Cannonsburg lake for some trout.

Dunbar creek- stocked in the lower sections, has a FFO section. Scenic area, local hill jacks can be unnerving occasionally Ymmv pretty area though (could be listed under east as well)

Think there is a stream Miller's Run- near Cecil. Seasonal Stockers

Dutch Fork Lake- you can fish from shore, close to you

Mingo Creek Park- seasonal stockers off Rt88

East of Pittsburgh-

Laurel Hill creek- stocked fish, scenic enough though- has an upper and a lower access there are also a few streams that flow into Laurel Hill that get stocked Has a delayed harvest section.

Loyalhanna- another stocker stream, water get larger and warmer as you move downstream, delayed harvest near Ligonier

Linn Run- mix of stocked fish w a few smaller natives
Indian Creek- delayed harvest section, off Turnpike near Donegal

West of Pittsburgh-
Montour Run- seasonal stocked stream near Robinson Town Center its along a rails to trails which is convenient

I like the Laurel Highlands the best , if one stream isnt fishing well, you can always get to another stream fairly quickly. Several dozen small mountain streams from Ligionier south to WV border that flow off both sides of Laurel Ridge.

Good luck. There is some trout water there. I moved from Washington co. to Boilingsprings for the trout fishing 35 years ago and never looked back. Very good move. Perhaps Yellow creek near Bedford.

I realize you asked for trout spots (I'm not trying to be patronizing)... but have you considered fly fishing for warm water species? There's a lot more options closer to you if you go this route.
Bass and sunnies can be more fun than video games too.

Buy a Maryland license. Western MD is the only place in the east where you can catch, brown, rainbow, brook, and cutthroat tout.

MD, cutthroat? Where? Savage River? Yough in Garrett county?

foxfire wrote:
MD, cutthroat? Where? Savage River? Yough in Garrett county?

North Branch of the Potomac "Barnum" and the Savage

Rudeone,

I feel your pain as I just moved to Upper St Clair which added about 45 minutes to my drive time to get to Central PA...

See if any of these places are within your range. I followed this map last year and found some pretty nice spots for fly fishing. You are pretty close to 70 so can hit a number of these maybe...

http://www.lhtrouttrail.com/map.asp

Back