little lehigh

W

wardog

So today I went to the little lehigh found a good hole and started fishing about a half hour later 2 people stood about 10yards away from me for about a half hour until it pissed me off and I moved what goes on in peoples heads?

wardog wrote:
...what goes on in peoples heads?

I have theorized many times that it is something like the sound of a sea shell :-/

Frustrating!

Were you fishing the Heritage stretch? If so, that is what you get, and you can not be mad about it. If you were not in that section, then they were in the wrong and are aholes.

I am no expert in Little Lehigh, but it did seem especially crowded this weekend, both in the heritage section and in the park below.

I figure the amount of space and privacy you can reasonably expect is inversely proportional to the amount of people there... and spin / bait /family fishing users tend to be less sensitive to "personal space"

still, what you report seems awfully close. But again, in a mobbed public park type space, I feel that is part of the cost of doing business.

I was out in Allentown for work one weekend this past spring and got to fish the LL. It just so happened it was also stocking day through the park. I arrived before the stocking truck and wondered why there were literally 100 "fishermen" just standing around bs'ing. I continued to fish through the park and then the trucks showed up. People were literally jumping into the creek to get ahead of the next guy where they just threw a bucket of fish in. That was the end of the day for me.

It's stories like this about our more famous streams that is the reason I avoid them. Can the reputation of a stream literally compensate the fishing. We read about others and their experiences of the famous stream of yesteryear and long to make memories of our own. Streams change and things go on. The state of Pa has much to offer and we are blessed with so many streams that we overlook many and I prefer them. It's a good thing that the people who fish will continue to go where others have gone hoping to have the same success. It's a blessing that some streams draw more fisherman.
Funny thing. You can usually tell others (fisherman) intentions. They know if they are imposing. They will not talk or draw eye contact. When I fish around other people, I become talkative. I want to share the stream and I have fond memories of the people I have met on crowded streams. It's unfortunate but some people just have no desire to find out anything for themselves. If he is fishing there then there must be fish there. There are people who fish and there are fisherman.
I'd rather catch chubs alone on a no-name crick, than a stocked trout in a crowd no matter how famous and prestigious the stream.
To each his own.

I'm curious if the good hole was in front of the hatchery...

Kiddie pool !

wardog wrote:
So today I went to the little lehigh found a good hole and started fishing about a half hour later 2 people stood about 10yards away from me for about a half hour until it pissed me off and I moved what goes on in peoples heads?
People are ignorant, and that's why I don't go there much anymore, though when I do I stay away from others.

I hear that was your favorite spot with your Mickey Mouse rod LOL

For what it's worth, I found the crowds on LL not that disruptive... as long as your mindset is you are fishing in the middle of a park, not in the middle of the wilderness, I think it was actually remarkably painless.

We live in the east where we dump fish by the buckets into streams and expect civility from the nimrods. Get there when it's cold windy, and some snow won't hurt. The only other people you'll see are nuts like us and people walking dogs.

Attachments

• 73628ef7de6818e6a8cfc5bdfe51810b.jpg
    73628ef7de6818e6a8cfc5bdfe51810b.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 4
brookieaddict wrote:
We live in the east where we dump fish by the buckets into streams and expect civility from the nimrods. Get there when it's cold windy, and some snow won't hurt. The only other people you'll see are nuts like us and people walking dogs.

And if you go to that exact spot now you wont see that nice low dam and riffle anymore because they improved it by removing it and created lots of low featureless water above it and not much of a hole below it.

They improved the already featureless water above it? Nice.

brookieaddict:

Excluding wind which I despise .. spent a bunch of weekdays throughout the winter last year and had it basically to myself. That said received some info from a handful of 'experts' this year and it's a large stream.

A lesson in stocked trout stream mentality, especially in urban and suburban, larger streams. A small minority of stocked trout anglers practice opening day or opening weekend tactics year around. I expect such actions on opening weekend, but some don't understand the nuance between acceptable behavior on opening weekend and such behavior the rest of the year. On the other hand, a minority of fly anglers seemingly to have the need to go through every fly in their box before giving up a hole. When it happens to be on a stocked trout stream and it is one of the most popular holes in the creek, especially a large hole, which means it is probably a stocking site (holes that I typically avoid), fly anglers may find more traditional stocked trout anglers who are going to get fed up with the "road block," especially if the fly angler is not catching anything, and those anglers are going to move in for a try. Additionally, if the fly angler or any other angler who has been there for a while is fishing in one direction, the encroaching anglers are going to feel free to fish other parts of the (large) hole that the first angler isn't fishing at the time or has already worked over. I spend a lot of time fishing flies in an urban public park, heavily stocked, heavily fished stream...the most heavily fished stocked trout section in the Commonwealth recorded so far. I rarely (perhaps once a spring) have any other anglers move in on me. I attribute part of that to the fact that I usually keep moving when I am fishing, searching for the most vulnerable fish that are in the mood to hit rather than repeatedly working over the same fish or group of fish. Additionally, I tend to not get rattled when an another angler is close to me, but fishing from a different angle or fishing to fish that I have already worked over. More power to him or her if they have a better angle, such as approaching a hole from the other side of the larger stream, or if they can catch fish that were not interested in my presentation. Another way to avoid 90% of the urban anglers...get there at the crack of dawn. You'll probably have two hours of peaceful fishing.

krayfish wrote:
They improved the already featureless water above it? Nice.

Yes now it is shallow and featureless vs deeper and featureless.

Are you talking about the dam just about the heritage stretch? I noticed that got wiped out. Pretty deep hole where it used to be now. No fish in there though (at least none that I could catch).

The LL is what it is. I usually start in December and fish through March because at most you might encounter 1 or 2 other guys on the whole stretch. It's also the best time of the year for dry midge fishing.

I think he's whining about the one in the parkway by the metal bridge (robin hood bridge?).

I'm pretty sure they knocked a couple out of the LL this year.

Back