Little Lehigh and other SEPA Fly Spots

I

InTheMend

I fish the LL Heritage section often and usually catch at lest a few trout of decent size. I am only fourteen however and have not had a lot of time to explore new spots on the LL and other places around me. I live four minutes from the covered bridge at Valley, which is great but I'm looking for some more suitable water for euro nymphing, deeper, faster, wider. I am training for youth competitive FF and I need to continue practicing euro/straight line nymphing if I want to be good enough. I am felling like I need a new water body with different features to expose myself to different situations. This is quite a tall order, but does anyone know of a spot within 1 1/2 hours form Wayne, the town, PA that would fit that description? Thanks!

The Tulpehocken in Reading is about 1 hour from Wayne. It has all types of water.

I understand what you are trying to accomplish. As mentioned, the Tulpehocken is a great place to fish under varying conditions. You can maximize your exposure to different situations by fishing both the DH Area and the non-special reg area below it. You'll note that the area below the DH Area is listed in the reg book as being open to year around fishing. Additionally, the Tully offers varying flow conditions that may be quite different from the natural flows in SE Pa on any given day. You can monitor Tully flows from home simply by going to the USGS web site and looking at the river stages and flows. The Tully below Blue Marsh Lake is included.

Try the East Branch Brandywine...not as far as the Tully and some good nymphing water. also not quite as big as the Tully, but bigger than Valley. Be happy to give you some spots to check out via PM if you want. Although if you want to go right now, you'll have to stick to the special reg section.

Pickering and French Creeks in the Phoenixville area. There is good water for nymphing on both. Also both have special regs sections that can be fished year round.

Lehigh River or Little Schuylkill if you're looking for bigger water. They're on the tail end of your driving distance though.

Try the Saucon in Hellertown and the Little Bushkill in Easton. Both have some year round fishing and both have lots of fish. Lots of wild fish too. Also some great nymph fishing.

gencon

Geocon; when I'm heading North I have always gone to the LL for various reason (newbie comfort sone being one) and need to broaden my horizons a bit. I think I'm going to hit the Lil Bushkill and Saucon as they are similar distance from my home.

Both quality?

As of this Friday only the Trophy Trout section of the Saucon is open until opening day.
I would hit the Monocacy before I'd hit the Little Buskill.

Stagger, yes I feel both the Saucon and Little Bushkill are quality streams. I fish them both and do very well. Some guys don't seem to like little Bushkill because it is not in a pristeen area. But it has some great fish in it. Lots of wild browns. I have had fish there up to 18''. And I have heard and seen pictures of bigger ones. For me it is also close to home. Saucon 30 mins, Little Bushkill 40 mins. If you have any intrest send me a pm. I will give you more info.

Gencon

Gen .. PM Sent

What's the Little Bushkill?

It's just the Bushkill but since you're from the Lehigh Valley, you already knew that.

Chaz, the Little Bushkill runs through Easton. IMO an underated stream. Lots of wild fish, not much pressure.

gencon

I always thought the Little Bushkill was north of Easton in Monroe county and the Bushkill was in Northampton county and thru Easton.

The creek in Monroe County. I have always called Big Bushkill creek.
gencon

I grew up 1/4 mile from the Bushkill in Easton so that is the Bushkill to me. To add to the confusion both Bushkills have a Little Bushkill as a major tributary. That is another reason I hate calling the Northampton Co Bushkill the "Little Bushkill" since there are already 2 Little Bushkills.

Back