HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

List of streams being considered for wild trout designation

Posted on: 2012/10/8 8:39

Re: List of streams being considered for wild trout designation
From Chester County
Thanks. Good work, Mike. Keep 'em coming.....

Posted on: 2012/10/8 8:47

From Perkasie PA
Nice. I just posted about Cuttaloosa the other day. It's fairly close to me and I want to check it out.

Posted on: 2012/10/8 9:36

From South Central,PA
I noticed an error on one of my local streams. Red Run is a tributary of East branch Antietam, not West.

Posted on: 2012/10/8 9:44

Afish: If that's kudo is aimed at the Fisheries Management Division, I'm sure all would appreciate it. If it is aimed at me, given the sudden increase in SE Pa streams listed (especially the Schuylkill R drainage in Schuylkill Co), thanks. The increase is directly related to my having been able to hire a full-time biologist in May, 2011. You'll note that most of the Area 6 streams listed were surveyed in 2011. We still have 2012 wild trout surveys to do, although we have presently shifted gears to: smallmouth bass population surveys at night on the Susquehanna and Delaware, trap netting at least one lake, and assisting with a Pohopoco survey.

Posted on: 2012/10/8 12:38

From Chester County
Quote:

Mike wrote:
Afish: If that's kudo is aimed at the Fisheries Management Division, I'm sure all would appreciate it. If it is aimed at me, given the sudden increase in SE Pa streams listed (especially the Schuylkill R drainage in Schuylkill Co), thanks. The increase is directly related to my having been able to hire a full-time biologist in May, 2011. You'll note that most of the Area 6 streams listed were surveyed in 2011. We still have 2012 wild trout surveys to do, although we have presently shifted gears to: smallmouth bass population surveys at night on the Susquehanna and Delaware, trap netting at least one lake, and assisting with a Pohopoco survey.

Kudos to all involved. Most of us on here, myself included, criticize the FBC for spending too much time and money raising and stocking trout. When efforts are made on behalf of wild fisheries, we should applaud that effort.

Since you can't know where you are going until you really know where you are, at least the identifying the streams will allow us to conserve what we have, and maybe in some cases give us insight as how to enhance the wild fisheries in PA.

Can't wait until we see the 2012 results published.

Posted on: 2012/10/8 15:13

From York
Makes me want to get out and find a few of these streams.

Posted on: 2012/12/1 22:20

http://troutpa.blogspot.com/

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
Fireline creek and Nis Hollow are a 5 minute walk from my house. I would be interested in the sections that were surveyed. Especially Fireline, because at one time I found a nice size population of brooks in the very end of the stream, only for them to disappear the next year.

Posted on: 2012/12/1 22:30

http://bugflingerandfeatherlasher.blogspot.com/

From Couldn't Care Less
So I understand this correctly; these creeks will not be stocked, but protected, so the wild's can do their thing and increase the population?

Posted on: 2012/12/2 10:09

Can someone explain how to use those latitude & longitude numbers in Google Maps or other mapping sites to find the location?

I've done this before, but I tried it this time and got somewhere around Mongolia, so I reversed the order of the numbers and tried again and got somewhere up around Greenland.

Posted on: 2012/12/2 10:32

From Couldn't Care Less
Troutbert .. For the first (brich run) on the list I randomly added a N and W ..

39.95105n, 77.44382w

Ended up @ Knob Run Franklin, PA 17257 which is not "Birch Run" but closer than Mongolia.

Posted on: 2012/12/2 10:43

From Chester County
Quote:

troutbert wrote:
Can someone explain how to use those latitude & longitude numbers in Google Maps or other mapping sites to find the location?

I've done this before, but I tried it this time and got somewhere around Mongolia, so I reversed the order of the numbers and tried again and got somewhere up around Greenland.

Copy and paste these numbers: 40.858233,-77.810731 in Google maps and click on "search" and the exact location will magically appear.

Posted on: 2012/12/2 10:44

From Monessen, PA
Troutbert, the PA expressions should be something like this:

40.16561, -78.29808

As you can see the longitude is negative. Not all the expressions got it right. Try adding the negative sign to the second half.

Posted on: 2012/12/2 10:46

Thanks. Adding the negative sign to the second term worked.

You can also use these numbers to bring up the location in Acmemapper, which I like a little better than Google maps.

Posted on: 2012/12/2 11:03

From Chester County
Yup, Jack. Latitude is the first number and is a positive number and longitude is the second number and is a negative number (in our part of the world, anyway). Separate the two with a comma, and you should be good-to-go.

Posted on: 2012/12/2 11:07

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
150 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
4 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com