Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Letort-what do I NEED TO KNOW?

I have fished the Letort a lot and for a long time. Klingy nails the best advice so I do not want to be redundant. The one thing I would really hammer on is going slow. The biggest problem I see with LeTort rookies is the speed with which they try to fish it. I was sitting on the Bonny Brook bridge talking with a friend who lives right there one afternoon. I was planning on fishing but a car arrived and two guys proceeded to walk up to the water I was planning on fishing. I didn't mind as I fished the LeTort nearly every day at this point in my life. They returned after covering the water in about 30 minutes tops. The same stretch they covered, about 30 yards give or take, would take me at least 2 hours to cover. The worst part was I knew the stretch would be dead now for awhile because of their approach.

Posted on: 2013/1/28 22:39

From Monessen, PA
I always try to fish Letort when I pass through H'burg. It is a very unique stream for PA. The best time to catch trout is when they are rising, but good luck figuring out when that will be. This is the just the perspective of an occasional passerby, so take it with a grain of salt.

Posted on: 2013/1/30 15:21

From Sinking Spring, PA
After you get frustrated upstream try the lower end near the mouth. I have not been out there in a few years but from what I remember the fish were easier there.

Posted on: 2013/1/30 18:33

Quote:

steveo wrote:
After you get frustrated upstream try the lower end near the mouth. I have not been out there in a few years but from what I remember the fish were easier there.

I don't think the fish are that much easier to catch as much as it is a little easier to fish. Although that has changed a little. In my opinion it is for a couple reasons. First, that area is not fished as much as the upper water. Second, it is not quite as choked as the upper water, which is the part that is changing. It seems the lower water is getting more choked with weeds and resembling the upper water more. Third, hatches and bugs on the lower water seem to be more predictable and heavier. I have always thought Sulfurs and Olives were better on the lower water. Add in that the lower water has a nice trike hatch and the meadow areas have tons of hoppers. I think this combination have made the trout in the lower water more apt to feed on the surface in comparison to the fish on the upper water which are more rooters and subsurface feeders.

Posted on: 2013/1/30 21:31

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
I too am an occasional passer by. IMO, it's special because it's the epitome of a stream type.

In your mind, when you picture a freestoner, you picture a brawling, rocky, fast stream complete with waterfalls, plunge pools, and the like, with lots of smallish aggressive fish. When you picture a limestoner, you picture a pastoral setting. Lush green vegetation, weed beds, slow water with neither riffles nor pools, not overly affected by rain or drought. Constant water temps, constant flow, etc. Rather than fall down a gradient, the water is "pushed" by upwelling springs at the headwaters, and runs flat. Soil is silty and soft. Water is full of life and there are plenty of BIG fish, leisurely sipping small insects, occasionally refusing even naturals because a leg wasn't bent right or something.

But very few streams of either type fit their model perfectly. Most limestones have some freestone character, and vice versa. The Letort does fit it's model, it made the model. When you think of a limestoner, you are thinking of the Letort, and when you see other limestoners, you are comparing it to the Letort to gauge it's "limestonyness". And part of that is it's history, it's the one that was written about over and over, then talked about by the readers and fishers alike, and those descriptions formed that image in our heads, even those of us who have never actually seen it. So actually seeing it then becomes a special experience, like we've been familiar with it for years.

And tactics to fish a stream like that are very different than they are on the brawling freestoner. Slow, complicated currents with fussy, well fed fish, which see you easily due to a glassy surface. That challenge is why it was written about so much, and used to perfect flies and tactics.

Posted on: 2013/1/31 11:15

From State College
I'll be there in a few weeks/months I'm getting my act together fishing spring creek a couple times a week.

Posted on: 2013/3/25 0:21

From down the block from the Letort.
'twas a decent day out there yesterday....good enough olive hatch really took off around 1:30-2ish, brought 6 to hand between noon and three and stung a few others shaking off the rust. Also saw 2 or 3 stoneflies flitting across the water, but the trouts showed no interest, they were zoned in on the little olives.

Posted on: 2013/3/25 7:48

From lancaster county
Tomi

Which section? They crushed the stones at shady from 4 PM on.

Posted on: 2013/3/25 9:59

From down the block from the Letort.
Best action I had was up around 81, olive hatch tapered off shortly past three and was feeling the need for lunch. Only stones I saw were the two, maybe three that caught my eye and drifted by unmolested, don't know if they turned on later in the afternoon. I had my feet up and a belly full of chili by 4:00...

Posted on: 2013/3/25 11:29

From lancaster county
That's kinda what I figured. We fished the whole way from Shady to above post and then back down. We didnt see olives until around 4.

I was talking to Derek about sometimes if you drive upstream to the Heritage area you can find olives when they aren't on the lower stretches.

Looks like that's what we should have done.

Posted on: 2013/3/26 3:42

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
145 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
4 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com