Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: Lehigh River

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
Did not get to fish today because of having to put a new door on my house, but I did get to stop quickly at one of my spots to check activity. Lots of bugs. Caddis, Hendericksons, and stoneflies were in the air. In the 5 minutes I was there I did not see a rise though.

Posted on: 2013/4/6 19:21

http://bugflingerandfeatherlasher.blogspot.com/

From Ferguson Twp.
Yea I know where your coming from Shane, I did a major garage cleaning today, major check of the to do list. Getting out Sunday after drill.

Posted on: 2013/4/6 19:45

From PA and NH
Hit it today , among other spots. Water temp 47 at Treichlers at 4 pm, some slight bug activity on top but no rises. Had a few half-hearted takes subsurface but none brought to hand. The morning in the Poconos was a different story, for a different time, I'm whupped.

Posted on: 2013/4/6 21:10

I was north of there around the same time and witnessed a lot of bugs. Magic number is 50. Tuesday...........

Posted on: 2013/4/6 21:42

Fished today for a few hours. Caddis, caddis, and more caddis. Saw a nice amount of rises. Picked up two and lost one. Picked up all of them at the end of my drift swinging my cdc and elk and peacock & partridge just under the surface. My buddy lost three. One on top, one swinging the same setup, and one nymphing.

Posted on: 2013/4/8 15:46

Quote:

SBecker wrote:
Fished today for a few hours. Caddis, caddis, and more caddis. Saw a nice amount of rises. Picked up two and lost one. Picked up all of them at the end of my drift swinging my cdc and elk and peacock & partridge just under the surface. My buddy lost three. One on top, one swinging the same setup, and one nymphing.

Most excellent story. Were these the tan caddis that flit across the surface parallel to the bank that the fish often refuse with no imparted motion? Lol. You get a water temp?

Posted on: 2013/4/8 16:07

Not tan, more of a charcoal body or a dark brown in size 16-18. Saw a very large trout go airborn in the middle of a fast riffle. It is just the beginning. .......

Posted on: 2013/4/8 16:21

I see, I see.....

Posted on: 2013/4/8 16:29

Went into the middle of the proper Gorge. Very nice air temperatures to enjoy the day, however, the water still was 42 coming out of the dam, and where I was it did not feel above 50 at all. The problem was the wind. It was blowing at around 50 mph coming down that canyon at times. You had to wait for windows to cast. Saw one fish break surface to mock me, nothing else.

There were stone flies and caddis coming off very lightly, they were in the 14-16 range, black and grey, both of them. I did fish a nice marabou streamer, but not that much, I was just taking in the sights and waiting for a hatch that never came. The views down there continue to amaze me. It does feel like a small Montana.

Posted on: 2013/4/10 13:54

Water temp up that way is the problem. I am sure you are aware of that. However, for those of you that are looking for rising fish, you need to find the water temp to be right near 50. Look south my friends.

Posted on: 2013/4/10 14:20

From Dauphin PA
The master has spoken.

Posted on: 2013/4/10 17:46

Having been out a few times since early March, I'd say the dry fly fishing so far, just like last year's early season has been pretty good to date. Somehow the fish find a way despite low and lukewarm summer time temps and make it thru. Saw a pic the other day of a fish picked downstream of the Slatington that would have been a quality fish on the Upper D.

Not sure what the rains between now and the weekend will do the flows, but the Corps will be holding back on the release. So if flows don't change much the river is at a good wade and float level right now. Get out and prowl!

Posted on: 2013/4/10 21:41

You guys see any ospreys on the river? I've never seen any in the upper river, I think I used to see them in FEW years ago, but haven't been there recently. The upper, flooded section of FEW is about as text-book osprey habit as you can get. I did see an eagle in the river, and it did not move for about 10 minutes. The biggest fish eater I see is the dreaded merganser, quite a few in the upper river..water rats.

Posted on: 2013/4/11 7:56

Lots of mergansers down by me. Also, a few eagles. I have seen one osprey about 5 years ago.

Posted on: 2013/4/11 10:59

From Lehigh Valley
Saw a bald eagle at Laury's Station yesterday evening. Lotsa caddis as usual; did not see a rise. Swung a streamer for 45 minutes or so with not so much as a nibble...

Posted on: 2013/4/11 15:14

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
153 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
4 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com