Lehigh gorge

GenCon

GenCon

I love to fish the Lehigh. Especially in the gorge. Anyone else?
Last Spring I saw a caddis hatch there that looked like a snow storm.

gencon

I'd like to go there more often, but somehow I'm not motivated to. Probably the stockies, I don't fish many stcoked streams.

GenCon wrote:
I love to fish the Lehigh. Especially in the gorge. Anyone else?
Last Spring I saw a caddis hatch there that looked like a snow storm.
gencon

It's a beautiful place.

Did you get a good look at the caddis? What was the body color? And about what size?

Oh, and... did you catch any trout? ;-)

Never fished it but I would love to see it and fish it for that matter someday when the opportunity presents itself. The closest I ever got to it was at the tying jam back in December at the Nature center. I did pick up some literature and maps when I was there that day. In talking to some of the locals about it, it sounds like a really nice fishery.

The locals don't really fish it, or at least don't talk about it. I can say that I have not caught a newly stocked fish there, they live happily ever after in their own little world. I've taken to calling it the land of the lost and I've never seen another fly fisher, just the very occasional bait bomber. I think thats all I'm gonna say here, now over a coupla adult beverages things could get interesting. That was me you talked to at the jam Mr. Picket Pin, as a matter of fact just talking about it is kinda getting me worked up.

You saw a Grannom hatch this year. I witnessed it for about a week straight down my way. It was disgusting. I am sure if you search Lehigh River in the Stream reports thread you will get a little info and a pretty good video I took this year.

I usually fish it about twice a month and generally do pretty good. Just have to watch the water flow. Ive done some pretty stupid things like try to wade it when it was running high. Also in the gorge means different things to the locals. Also like to fish the spillway of the damn.

Yes becker Grannoms, it was unreal. I do not fish the popular places. Most places I do fish I see very few anglers. It is not for the faint of heart. Very difficult to wade lits of climbing to get in and out of the water. But awesome fish. If you are willing to work for them. For me it is always the challange that intrigues me.

gencon

I missed the grannoms but saw some nice hatches in the Gorge last year...will probably start heading back up there once the water gets in the 40s

I tend to hit that stretch of the Lehigh a couple times each month but haven't been there since mid-December. I've had to stay fairly local the past few weeks with my wife being due soon.

Are we talking grannoms or little black stones? In the air they can look similar. No doubt there are LBSs in the Lehigh, but not so sure about the grannom. Certainly could be wrong though on my end.

Hatches last spring were fantastic! Low, crystal-clear water and rising fish! Can't beat that.

Grannoms, I know the difference between LBS and Caddis. They were crawling all over me.

Back