Lake Erie Conditions from Hurrican Sandy

mike_richardson

mike_richardson

Just saw a report of up to 20' Waves to be seen on Lake Erie. That is insane. Might push the steel head up stream....Literally

SURFS UP!!!

all the fish will head for deep water for some time.

What I've seen down this way is after the storm passes 3 or 4 days the fish chew the bottom out of the boat. I'd figure about a week after the storm goes through and the weather settles the runs will go ballistic. Thats about the time I'll be in New York .lol GG

I really believe that this years steelhead season is not going to be in full swing until late november into December. I just do not think 20ft waves can help things. If those fish pushed out to deeper water it's going to be weeks until they move back in. Plus it's going to take more high water periods to get them into the creeks. Gosh I hope I am wrong but I fear I am not. I am no expert though so perhaps people with more experience can shed a ray of light.

Uhh, who has a problem with it "really" starting mid november? Crowds are usually starting to file out by mid november, and down quite a bit by december. I have been crazy busy with work and a home renovation, and will probably begin to have free time by mid to late november, so I hope thats when it really heats up. I will def have some spare vacation waiting for things to pick up.

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/usa/nwis/uv?site_no=04213152

Can't remember the last time I saw Walnut at 1400. Doesn't look like it's over either.

I wouldnt be surprised if it gets close to 3k tmr. This is supposed to continue all night.

The Gage has only been active since march 2007. I have seen worse like in the early 80's when elk creek was dammed by the RR tunnel due to collapse.

That was sarcasm... Like the will get swept into the streams by the wave. Sorry hurrican humor is not my best attribute. ;)

100's of small brown trout washed up on the shore at Trout Run.

595F003849F441C8BDEFBDDDB609BE41.jpg

A fish kill is never good, but I'm guessing they were the hatchery fish raised in the local streams. I'm hoping they weren't the stocked fish that were put in a few months ago as part of the brown trout program. At the size that they are, that's a possibility.

Was at trout run a week and a half ago, and scattered in with the numerous steelhead stranded in the shallow water of the creek were hundreds of small trout. However, I didn't look close enough to see if they were brown trout or rainbows. Probably the same fish and my guess would be part of the brown trout program.

Yes, they were the juvenile brown trout.

Trout Run this morning:
3302A85205614AF08D9D404613C14E33.jpg

Maybe headed out to fish Erie tomorrow... will give a report if I do.

Gauges are dropping fast.

I saw a video of Elk on FB and wow is it wicked. Once it starts to calm I would imagine the fish will move a considerable distance with fresh ones coming in. The season hasn't fully kicked in yet.

I checked out the east side streams today while my brother scouted the west.
Elk won't fish tomorrow.
Walnut might.
4 and 12-Mile were already fishing this afternoon.
16 will fish tomorrow.
20-Mile? forget about it.
A lot of beach got washed away.
Some of the concrete on the bank almost made it to the lake.

20-Mile 10-27-2012
Oct272012002.jpg

Oct272012004.jpg

Oct272012006.jpg

Oct272012007.jpg

Back