Juniata system- Ice?

sarce

sarce

With all of the talk/news footage of ice jams on the Susky and Delaware, I was wondering if the upper Juniata main branch or the lower frankstown branch have just as much ice? I was looking forward to searching for some migratory browns in that area this winter. It's close to an hour drive from state college and I don't want to waste the time if half the river is covered in ice. Any help is much appreciated

I'm not sure as I haven't been up in that area since the deep freeze this winter. I do fish the lower J in winter and I find that the main stem is usually open even when the tribs are frozen solid. That said, things are different this year. Personally, my view is that if there's chunk or slush ice in the main river channel.....it's not worth fishing and one should just wait till warmer temps.

If it were me, I'd wait till later this winter if you're serious about actually fishing and not just finding access areas etc.

Frankstown Branch near the middle section (Hollidaysburg to Williamsburg) had a lot of ice the other day.

Thanks guys. I'll probably save my gas. I have a lot going on the next few months so maybe it's a good thing that I won't be tempted :)

When I drove through town this weekend the ice stops at the railroad bridge in Lewistown. From Kish Creek down was ice free.

The Raystown banch from the point up is good this time of year.

Good to know, thanks.

I think the state record brown came from up the raystown branch near the breast of the dam.

A friend and I checked out a few spots yesterday. Started on Raystown Branch near Corbin's Island. Did not see any fish which was not surprising since we didn't wade. Drove along the river down to the point at the mouth. Talked to a guy there who said walleye fishing has been slow and asked if we ran into any brown trout closer to the dam. He said they start hitting hard this time of year, it was reassuring to know we weren't on a wild goose chase for browns in that area. Made a few casts from shore but decided it was pretty pointless and headed somewhere that I've actually caught trout before, the lower Frankstown Branch. I was worried it would be too iced over/dangerous to fish but aside from some slower side channels and shallow eddies it was totally ice-free. I hooked into 3 nice browns but did not land any of them. None were over 15-16" so at least I didn't lose any trophies. Great day exploring and I'll be back for sure. Love that area.

Back