Jackson Hole Snake River

C

chromid

In the process of putting together a trip out west from Sept. 2 -8. I will be spending 3 days north of Jackson Hole at the base of the Tetons and looking to fish the Snake and some of its tribs, then moving up to Lamar Valley for 3 days.

I am very familiar with the Lamar area having done several trips there, but have never fished the Snake watershed. Looking at wading versus the drift boats.

Anyone have any experience on the Snake? Looking for input, information, or contacts on water temps, trib info, access, hatches, success levels, etc.

the kokanee salmon should be running up big elk creek on the snake that time of year. that would def be worth doing, flavs will be going too and there are plenty of nice cutts in big elk.

get on jimmysflyshop.com and look through the fishing report archives for small streams. they talk about an awful lot of south fork tribs. There are alot of them.

The Snake is a beast of a river. If you're looking to wade, even if the flows are lower, I'd strongly consider the tribs for a more enjoyable experience.

Gros Ventre River, just NE of JH would be #1 on my list. Didn't get a chance to fish it (kicking myself now and vowing to return), but did some hiking back there...absolutely beautiful red rock scenery and mostly Cutts from what I understand. The area around Lower Slide Lake looked especially appetizing.

When I was in Jackson last summer, I fished the Gros Ventre, Flat Creek in the National Elk Refuge, and the South Fork of the Snake in ID. Flat Creek is a special place, it is technical spring creek fishing for big selective cutts in a beautiful meadow setting. The Gros Ventre is a great fishery if you're wading. I fished between lower slide lake and the snake, it fished well at every pull off. The snake is huge water, you'll need a drift boat to fish it. If you want to go that route, World Cast Anglers is a great guide outfit out Victor ID, they also guide out of the Jackson Orvis store. Check out the Hoback River also, its a trib to the Snake that is South of Jackson. The South Fork of the Snake is worth a day in the drift boat. The fishing is for cutts, bows, cuttbows, and browns, the fish are bigger in general than in the Snake above Jackson, and they are very eager to take a fly. I fished big foam drys the entire time I was on the South Fork. I would fish the South Fork before I fished the Snake above Jackson. Check out the High Country Fly shop website, they have some maps and other info on their site and so does World Cast. Good luck, have a great trip.

I fished the south fork below palisades reservoir - wading only. It did still have quite a bit of flow in late summer - but we did OK. There are quite a few islands that break the stream up into smaller braids, that can be waded without much problem.
Lots of moose in the area, that had a habit of sneaking up and startling the crap out of us.
Beautiful area though

I know you want to fish the Snake, but I just got back from the N Platte. Fantastic fishing. Grey Reef Anglers is who guided us.
GO TO CASPER. It's on your way to Cody.
We started in Casper, went thru the park fishing Lewis Lake, firehole, gibbon and Lamar.
Lamar is by far my river of choice in the whole world, but got skunked.

n platte is awesome, just saying.

There is an article in current Eastern Fly Fishing Magazene on Jackson Hole that details all the rivers and lakes in the area. Check it out, it's pretty comprehensive.

riz wrote:
n platte is awesome, just saying.

In the process of packing the truck now. Going to spend a couple of weeks fishing, camping, and hiking the upper North Platte and the Encampment river. Looking forward to poking around the Snowy Range. May hit the Miracle Mile, but not sure yet.

Code:
Going to spend a couple of weeks fishing, camping, and hiking the upper North Platte and the Encampment river.

Very jealous, I wish I were going to be spending a couple of weeks fishing in Wyoming. Instead I start summer class next week. Do you want to switch places?

Thanks all for the suggestions and input. Given all of the options mentioned, I have decided to increase my stay another week to explore some of the locations mentioned. Setting up an itinerary to see how much I can fit in.....so far Gros Ventre, Flat Creek, and a visit to N Platte via Casper have earned spots. Maybe a short time on the Snake if the flows are low (bucket list thing)...Some dabbling in the park while heading north.

Still looking to spend the final three days up on the Lamar....I am with Transporter on the Lamar.....a little fickle at times, but absolutely one of the best locations imaginable when you hit it right!

I know it will be primarily hopper, terrestrial time, but am curious to see how the hatches and bug distribution changes going from south to north with the elevation changes, water temps, etc..

Here is a site that may be of some interest. You may have to register to view more than a few post.

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/rocky-mountain-range/

Back