Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Interesting turn of events: where to fish in western PA?

From Las Vegas, NV
Well, there is a *chance* that I may be getting military orders out of Nellis AFB in Las Vegas and into Wright-Patterson AFB near Dayton, OH. Obviously, that would be a huge change as far as my hunting and fly fishing options are concerned, but it's not something I would be terribly upset with. However, I'd also be pressing the reset button on my knowledge about where to go since I've never fished western PA.

Given that I am still a PA resident, I would have no issue buying an annual license/trout stamp and fishing the western edge of the state. If I'm after wild trout, heck, even stocked waters, what part of the western edge of the state should I be looking at? I'm not even talking specific waters, but what county, is a good place to have a lot of options?

Thanks for your help.

Posted on: 2013/11/1 18:56

Re: Interesting turn of events: where to fish in western PA?

From SW PA
There are a number of places, but for my money the Yough is the best in the SW. (Youghiogheny River) It's not necessarily easy, and does have a tendency to beat you up occasionally, but it does give up some lovely rainbows, huge browns, and the occasional eye-popping bikini (in season of course)

Posted on: 2013/11/1 19:36

From Gettysburg
Six,
Unfortunately, the western counties of PA are largely a trout fishing desert. There are some waters and things get much better as you head further east into more mountainous areas.....but the counties bordering OH are pretty slim for trout. Check the link in the upper right side of this page "Pennsylvania Trout Streams" to get started.

The good news is that western PA has some excellent warm water fishing. The entire Allegheny watershed has very good bass fishing and western PA is a first class muskie region as well. And of course, there's steelhead up around Erie.

Posted on: 2013/11/1 20:40

From harlansburg
there are quite a few good trout waters in the western part, like Dave said, the yough is good, also lot's of other good waters around that area. the northwestern part of the state also has a good number of wild trout streams along with stocked streams, plus Lake Erie tribs and steelhead in pa and ohio. I'd be willing to bet there is some good smallmouth fishing close to Dayton as well.
BTW, been to the Air Force museum at Dayton, WOW!!
Thanks for your service, and good luck!

Posted on: 2013/11/1 20:44

From Las Vegas, NV
Thanks a lot for the info, fellas. It's going to suck leaving my favorite mountain creeks that I've discovered in Utah, but I really learned to love warmwater fishing for largemouth while I was stationed in Nebraska. I was using baitcast and spinning tackle back then, but I can, of course, adapt to fly fishing this go-around. No matter what, I plan to engage myself in the Erie steelhead insanity at least once if this order goes through.

Posted on: 2013/11/1 21:11

From Dauphin PA
+1 to the suggestion from DaveS and you also have the Potomac in WV.

Posted on: 2013/11/1 21:48

From Ohio
Don't overlook the Mad River while you're in Dayton..

Posted on: 2013/11/1 22:39

From Ohio
In Western PA, check out the Yough, Oil Creek and Neshannock Creek. I've never fished the Mad yet, but its close to Dayton and its Ohio's only good trout stream. The smallmouth fising in the Little Miami, and the Stillwater river are good too. Check out the brookville tailwater in SW Indiana on the otherside of Cincy for trout too. I think there are some trout streams in KY, but I'm not sure where.

Posted on: 2013/11/2 15:56

From Las Vegas, NV
Thanks again for more suggestions, especially the ones that would be close to home if I lived in or near Dayton. The Mad River is darn near on base, so even though the trout options are limited, that really would be a big plus of living out there. There's just no doubt that I'll be hitting up anything western PA within a day's drive.

Posted on: 2013/11/2 21:47

From Ohio
Also an option for a little side trip on the way to/from Neshannock and Oil is the Shenango River. Great multispecies river, everything from smallmouths and trout(great caddis hatches), to white bass, walleye, and pike. Don't think anyone mentioned the Allegheny yet, which is another great fishery, and there's plenty of trout(wild and stocked) options around the middle and upper Allegheny watersheds.

Another Ohio trout option is the Clear Fork of the Mohican. I've only fished it twice, and have only been successful once there for trout, but I hear it's pretty good. Though not as good as the Mad.

Depending which way you go, Little Beaver Creek in Ohio near the PA border is a good warmwater option on the way to the PA streams. Nice creek that's good for smallies, but I've also gotten my share of panfish(including white bass), walleye, sauger, and other species. Weird catching 'eyes out of a trout stream-like creek.

Posted on: 2013/11/2 22:01

From NE OH
There are no trout streams in western PA that rival the hog potential of the Mad. DO NOT overlook her. Not a put down to any of the streams in western PA. I love them and fish them regularly (today in fact). I grew up on the Mad. There are browns in the 28-30" class caught on the Mad every year. The Mad is not as beautiful as the PA streams. It will take some time to get to know her, but when you do, you'll be rewarded. She's a great river for big streamers.

Posted on: 2013/11/2 22:02

From Las Vegas, NV
Patrick -

If I do end up out there, I'm going to have to look you up. Living that close to a river with that kind of potential sounds like a real treat.

Posted on: 2013/11/2 22:09

From NE OH
Keep me posted

Posted on: 2013/11/2 22:34

From Las Vegas, NV
I got word from my boss while I was elk hunting in Colorado this week that my orders and subsequent move to Wright-Patterson AFB near Dayton, OH is all but certain. I'm going to leaving sometime in May/June. Looks like I will be joining up with some of our Ohio members in the somewhat near future.

Posted on: 12/13 17:35

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
Sorry to hear that.

Posted on: 12/13 18:15

http://bugflingerandfeatherlasher.blogspot.com/

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
31 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
2 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com