French Creek, Chester Co. St Peters

M

Mike

If you miss fall fishing in the C&R FFO Area, it was not the only game in town. As I have mentioned to anglers at various times, all one need do is fish from Warwick Park, where I have heard in the past there are trout throughout the summer (have not verified this) to the upper stocking limit in the SGL. The stream holds spring stocked trout through the summer. Although that seems improbable to some anglers in a stream where bait fishing is allowed, it is true. I stood on the St Peters foot bridge today and watched a SMB and two trout moving about in the pool below. Years ago when we extended the upper stocking limit from St Peters Rd upstream into the SGL for about a half mile or so, we did so because we found holdover RT in summer or fall that had moved that far upstream and were in beautiful condition.

I can attest to the fact that the water at St. Peters is cold during the summer.

Coventryville Trout Club, of which I am a member, stocks Warwick Park and other areas upstream so that also explains the presence of those salmonids.

Good to know! I'm slowly getting my daughter into camping, and French Creek isn't too far from the thriving metropolis of Ephrata. My wife and I have discussed going to French Creek for camping for quite some time.

What does "SGL" stand for ? Thanks.

Fished the section along Hollow Road from the covered bridge to the Sheeder Mill Road bridge with my son yesterday. Nothing but fall fish. This was my first time fishing French Creek and unless other sections are different I don't think I will ever fish it again. The stream bottom is so rock strewn that it may be the hardest wading stream I have ever encountered. Also the ingress egress of this section was almost impossible. Although there is a set of stairs in the parking area at the intersection of Hollow and Sheeder Mill Rds they are very very steep for an old guy like me. When we left I walked out to the middle of the covered bridge and saw a lot of trout/suckers under the bridge. The water under the bridge was 61.11 degrees.

fadeaway263 wrote:
Fished the section along Hollow Road from the covered bridge to the Sheeder Mill Road bridge with my son yesterday. Nothing but fall fish. This was my first time fishing French Creek and unless other sections are different I don't think I will ever fish it again. The stream bottom is so rock strewn that it may be the hardest wading stream I have ever encountered. Also the ingress egress of this section was almost impossible. Although there is a set of stairs in the parking area at the intersection of Hollow and Sheeder Mill Rds they are very very steep for an old guy like me. When we left I walked out to the middle of the covered bridge and saw a lot of trout/suckers under the bridge. The water under the bridge was 61.11 degrees.

Fade,

The FFO-CR area on French gets very warm in the summer. I wouldn't expect many or any trout to survive in that stretch. It's really a spring through early summer fishing place since it won't be stocked again by the FBC until the spring (usually late February).

Unfortunately, and sadly, French Creek is almost entirely put and take. Further upstream you can find fish in Warwick Park as the Club stocks there periodically but it is hit and miss. Going to Valley or maybe the Tulpehocken are the most attractive options in my Chesco neck of the woods. And the Little Lehigh is worth the 40 drive up Route 100.

Would like input from you guys as to whether you agree it is a hard wading stream

fadeaway263 wrote:
Would like input from you guys as to whether you agree it is a hard wading stream

Fairly easy wading.

I'm afraid old age has caught up with you, Buddy!

Consider one of these...........

Attachments

• Fishin chair.jpg
    Fishin chair.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 4
I thought Maurice was the only MOD alowed to be a wise *** :-o

The_Sasquatch wrote:
Good to know! I'm slowly getting my daughter into camping, and French Creek isn't too far from the thriving metropolis of Ephrata. My wife and I have discussed going to French Creek for camping for quite some time.

Bear in mind squatch sightings are rare in those parts, so you might get a bit more attention there that you normally would in rural parts of PA.

None the less it is a nice place to camp. Fishing is pretty good to, and I am familiar with some places, but you I don't want to get reviled for "spot burn"....

Back