Fishing the Lackawaxen River?

A

auitup622

Hey guys and gals,

I'm new to the area and new to the forum --

I'm curious about the Lackawaxen River (and the surrounding Upper Delaware River)..

Can someone give me some pointers and advice on fishing these particular rivers?? hots spots, bad spats, patterns to use, etc. I'll be heading that way in a few weeks and wanting to do a bit of homework beforehand.

Thanks for the help and look forward to your responses!

Chase

In the spring the Lackawaxen is stocked from Prompton Dam to the mouth at the Delaware. In summer the water generally warms too much for trout fishing. There used to be a fall stocking but not this year. I'm sure there are some holdover trout but trout fishing might be tough. Smallmouth fishing is supposed to be pretty good but I've never tried it.

Upper Delaware access can be tricky. Most of the access is at boat launches on the PA side. There is some National Park access on the NY side above Callicoon. (A PA license is good on both shores.)

Watch for the water releases, check USGS for levels

I forgot about the water releases from the hydro plant. I haven't fished it in a couple years. There are warning signs. I think most of the releases are mid day; like 11-2. a quick glance at the USGS gauge would tell. Also, I don't think there are releases on weekends. When I fished it I went either early morning or after work.

There is an 800 number which i have someplace to find out when there will be releases.

I believe djs fishes this river a lot when he isn't donning the chef's hat and manning a grill.. u may consider giving him a PM

http://www.paflyfish.com/modules/profile/userinfo.php?uid=5814

Thanks for the thoughts

Releases are probably not an issue on weekend, the Hydro dam only generates during peak power needs. However it's never a sure thing. PPL will have release schedules.
As for fishing the river, I've fished itduring the fall and done okay, but they will not be stocking it during the fall this year.

If you insist - http://www1.pplweb.com/ilwpk/cgi-bin/present_operation.pl

Back