Fishing creek columbia county

K

Keith

I have just taken a liking to fishing this past season and have done very well on fishing creek. I don't like staying in the easily accessible areas but would rather walk the creek. Most posts I have seen are from 2009. I've come across some heavily posted areas along this creek and was wondering if I am able to fish them if not going past high wAter marks. Have they deemed this creek navigable yet?some of the areas I speak of are bartholomew camp ground,north of forks bridge a ways up creek after it bends away from 487,north of zehners bridge,and above Benton high school near golf course. Are any of these areas fiShable as long as I stay in water?thanks

Keith wrote:
I have just taken a liking to fishing this past season and have done very well on fishing creek. I don't like staying in the easily accessible areas but would rather walk the creek. Most posts I have seen are from 2009. I've come across some heavily posted areas along this creek and was wondering if I am able to fish them if not going past high wAter marks. Have they deemed this creek navigable yet? some of the areas I speak of are bartholomew camp ground,north of forks bridge a ways up creek after it bends away from 487,north of zehners bridge,and above Benton high school near golf course. Are any of these areas fiShable as long as I stay in water?thanks

No. Fishing Creek has not been legally deemed navigable. You cannot (legally) access the stream in posted areas.

Other than the Little J, which was deemed navigable recently, and the major rivers in PA, no stream (that I'm aware of anyway) can be accessed below the high water mark.

Fish unposted areas of the stream and try asking permission to fish in areas that are posted.

BTW, it is a nice stream.

Keith -

I own the property just below the Benton Dam which is open to fishing. I have signs out stating that fishing is permitted walk in only. As afishinado stated Fishing Creek is not legally deemed navigable. The heavily posted areas are patrolled and its best to just stay out. There is plenty of open areas on Fishing Creek to fish so there should not be much in way of complaining about lack of open water. Most people are just too lazy to explore new areas so they complain that FC is posted up. It's one of the best trout streams in PA.

Ron

PALongbow wrote:
Keith -

I own the property just below the Benton Dam which is open to fishing. I have signs out stating that fishing is permitted walk in only.

Ron

Thank you Ron! It is appreciated by this angler and I'm sure many more.

Thank you both for the feedback. I will just stay out of those areas Ron since it is not a hassle I look for. I am also appreciative for the use of your land. I have fished a little around the dam and I've parked behind Benton beer barn and have walked creek up past where west creek comes in. I've had very good luck on that stretch.not sure how close to west creek your land is but that is a beautiful stretch back in there. I will be sure to park at Benton dam and fish down through your area soon. Thank you.

I own the land upstream from the West Creek hole. My land starts at the old train abutment just downstream from the Benton Dam down to my house along 487N. You will see the fishing allowed signs just before coming into town on your left. Please feel free to park there at my house. You will see a gate on the road that says no Hunting but fishing is allowed.

Stop in and say hello sometime. Matter of fact that stands for everyone that posts here. Stop in and say hello.

Ron

Thank you very much Ron. Hopefully fisherman are as respectful to your land as you are to the fisherman. Appreciate the feedback I got on here. My sons football season ends next weekend which gives me more time on the water. I look forward to fishing that stretch and stopping by to say hi. Thanks agAin.Keith

Keith - It was pretty simple. If the folks that fish my property respect it and remove their trash...it stays open for fishing...if not...the property gets posted. I got that word out the day I purchased it and I have actually seen people cleaning up trash along the bank. Their are still a lot of good people in the this world. Unfortunately its the low percentage of people who ruin it for the majority.

Ron

Back