Ffishing Cuba

L

lestrout

I have a friend who is wanting to flyfish Cuba. Both he and his S/O are Americans, however. Any suggestions?

tl
les

yes. its illegal to go there so don't go.

but if your friends did want to go, theoretically they could go via say Nassau Bahamas and use a travel agent in the UK or Holland that might theoretically accept their US credit card.

i've heard that the fishing in Jardines De La Reina is amazing. hopefully after the embargo lifts it will stay that way !

Bring me back some cigars. :cool:

Yeah, I think you need some "creative" trip planning to get there however some recent articles I've seen (can't remember where) describe world class flats fishing in a almost pristine environment along the south shoreline. Usually the operative description is that it's like fishing the Keys in the 1940s when the Keys were still pristine and undiscovered as a sports fishing destination.

Some friends of mine went through Cancun a few years back. No problem getting in. They actually slipped a piece of paper into their passport to stamp rather than stamping the actual passport while going through customs.

you CAN get into cuba, the legal way is claiming it's for humanitarian or educational purposes, usually through a travel company that specializes in that, the "other" way is to grab a boat out of key west, I know people that do it a few times a year and to them it's no big deal, they say for the fun you have in key west for 100 bucks, you can have the same fun in Havana for 10 bucks!
we tried to go one year I was down there, but a couple fuddy duddies that were with us were skeered, so we bailed on that plan. Lot's of people from other countries vacation there. It's just our backwards gov that is holding us hostage.
I'd love to experience it before all the damn tourist americans get there and screw it all up.

Back