Elk creek

O

ohiohunter

Hi, I'm new here just have a quick question.Do you steelhead experts think the elk will be fishable in the morning.Thinking of taking a 13 year old out for his first steelhead.

My guess is yes, but it depends on how much more rain we get between now and tomorrow. The forcast keeps changing.

There are a bunch of us heading up there tomorrow morning and we are meeting at Folly's campground. I'm sure there will be someone there to offer advice.

Check this thread. You may wish to skip to the last couple pages because it is very long.

link

Also this one.

link

Yes

Ohiohunter, Pat knows his stuff. If he said yes, then I'd believe him, even if he is from Ohio.

To validate Dave's answer...there is lake effect rain happening, but it's hitting the Cleveland area right now, not Erie. That being said, it is projected to be in the 0.1" total area for the day. That will likely just serve to keep Elk perfect.

Elk is pretty blown right now but it can change in a few hours. If it isn't low enough for your liking there are plenty of other streams in Erie that will be fishable. Elk will be the last to get down in level because it is the largest stream.

This probably becomes way more clear for ohiohunter when I explain that I also live in Ohio (barely) and the Ohio crack was a joke. I also work close to Cleveland and I'm not even bothering to look outside. This time of year, it could be raining here and sunshine 10 miles east (or west) Anything can happen along that lake.

Something will be fishable.

According to weather channel, calling for snow at my place tonight.

Elk is dropping like a rock (as usual) and I would bet I'd be willing to fish it by late afternoon (if not in a couple of hours)....if I weren't stuck in the office. As long as Brandy Run gage is below say 15cfs or so, you and your son should be fine.

Back