Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Donegal creek wild rainbow?

From Mountville
I just started fly fishing in the beginning of July and I have been fishing the local trout stream to me, Donegal creek". It's definitely not the best stream to try to learn to fly fish but I have been lucky enough to catch a few bows. The first 1 I caught could not have been more then 3 inches long and the adipose fin was not clipped so I know its not a fingerling. I heard there were some egg boxes dropped but does anyone know what time of year they dropped. Could this be one that survived or a stream bred rainbow?

FYI the few times I have gone fishing there I made sure the temperature was below 68 degrees as to not stress the fish. Also one other note for you Donegal aficionados, I just went down there Sunday evening to some of my favorite spots and didn't see a single trout or see anything rising. I wonder how much the PFBC messed with the trout by electroshocking them in the middle of the summer?

Attach file:

jpg  donegalrainbow.jpg (50.99 KB)
9161_52006ea4314f7.jpg 490X368 px

Posted on: 2013/8/5 23:35

Re: Donegal creek wild rainbow?
From Dallastown, PA
Its likely that the adult stocking from 2012 produced this fingerling. It is unlikely that a wild rainbow fishery will endure. It isn't uncommon to find fingerling rainbows were adult rainbows are stocked regularly and summer temperatures are reasonable for survival and fall spawning. However sustaining these progeny are the real test.

Not surprising but good find and thanks for the report.

Posted on: 2013/8/5 23:48

From Southeastern Pa
that right there sir, is pretty effing cool!

It might make it but browns definitely have the home team advantage in the D-gal.

hit me up if you ever want to fish. I live not far from you (the pete)

Posted on: 2013/8/6 0:12

From Harrisburg
I just posted in the photos section before I saw this.
Is it me or does that not look like a golden?

Posted on: 2013/8/6 11:14

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
The more I look at it, the more you look right Squaretail. I've heard recent stories of people seeing the goldens specifically spawning in the spring.

Posted on: 2013/8/6 11:57

From Ephrata, PA
By "golden", do you mean lightening trout?

Posted on: 2013/8/6 12:02

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
SHAA----ZAMMmmm
Lightin Trout !!!

Posted on: 2013/8/6 12:09

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..
https://www.facebook.com/BigMeadowsFlyShop

From South Lebanon Township, PA
My vote would be regular wild Rainbow. I fished a stream that had a small co-op hatchery that flooded in the floods of 2011. There were some Golden fingerlings in there that made it in to the stream at a size only slightly bigger than the fish pictured...maybe 5-6". They had much more obvious banana-like features than this fish.

I agree with Maurice on the fish's origins, and I've noticed the same thing on streams that are stocked with Rainbows but are capable of holding fish over. Many of these are actually viable wild Brown Trout streams (as is Donegal). Some smallish wild Rainbows will show up for a year or two, usually immediately following a year with good Summer flows and temps. Then they disappear and you don't see any for a few years. Get a year with conditions conducive to holding stockers over, and they show up again. Rainbows just seem to struggle to sustain a wild population in our streams in comparison to Brooks and Browns (thankfully in most cases).

Posted on: 2013/8/6 12:17

From cambria county
i think squaretail is right, ive never seen a wild bow with a goldish color like that before.

Posted on: 2013/8/6 13:48

From Ephrata, PA
The body color doesn't throw me off, but the fins are unusual. The wild bows I've caught have had that zebra type of pattern on them, similar to the wild brookies (oops..native) that we catch.

Swattie, do you still have that picture of the bow Foxgap caught in northern Lanc. last October?

Posted on: 2013/8/6 13:54

From South Lebanon Township, PA
Quote:

The_Sasquatch wrote:
Swattie, do you still have that picture of the bow Foxgap caught in northern Lanc. last October?

I think so. I've caught a few smallish seemingly wild Bows from wild Brown, (but Rainbow stocked) ATW's that looked similar to this fish. I know one in particular had a lot of color in the fins. I'll see what I can dig up tonight.

Another possibility is that this fish is the result of a Golden and a traditionally colored Bow spawning too. Not really a hybrid since Goldens are just a color variation of Rainbows, but kinda in a way I guess. The resulting fry would be somewhere in between the coloration of the parents.

Posted on: 2013/8/6 14:00

From Ephrata, PA
Here's a wild bow I caught on the Upper Tully. Here you can kind of see what I mean.
Click to see original Image in a new window

By comparison, here's a wild bow I caught on Big Spring. Here you can see the bottom fins are quite different than the ones on the OP's original post.

Click to see original Image in a new window

The body colors on these two bows are quite different, but the fins have similar colors and patterns. The fins on the OP are nothing like these two.

Posted on: 2013/8/6 14:09

From Lancaster
Cool looking fish! The lack of any dark spots on the dorsal, caudal and adipose fin (as well as the entire body) is very unique for a rainbow. It had to pick up that gentetic trait from somewhere.

Posted on: 2013/8/6 14:46

From Clearville Pa
that tail sure does look more like a goldie then a rainbow

Posted on: 2013/8/6 15:07

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
Well a "golden rainbow" is technically a palomino bred with a rainbow. With the few amount of goldens in a stream the odds are if this were the result of reproduction that a golden bred with a regular rainbow, so if that's the case then it would make sense that it has less of the golden color.

Posted on: 2013/8/6 17:41

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com