Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Donegal creek wild rainbow?

From South Lebanon Township, PA
Ok...so here's the pics I dug up...

First one is Foxgap's from a Lancaster County limestone ATW. Wild Brookies/Browns and probably Bows? Stocked with Bows.

Second one is one I caught from a SC freestone ATW stocked with Bows. It is on the nat repro list as a wild Brown stream. This was the young fish I mentioned earlier in the thread as having similar fin coloration to the OP fish. I am rather certain this fish is wild.

Third one is a Banana I caught from a stream with a co-op hatchery on it that flooded during the floods of 2011. I caught some smaller than this one, but this apparently is the only one I took a picture of.

After seeing these pics again, I'm now less certain about the OP fish being a regular Bow than I was before. The absence of spots in the dorsal fin is interesting, and does potentially suggest Golden. That said, its overall color isn't like the young Banana pictured or any of the other ones I remember catching...they were much more obviously yellow. If pressed I'd still say regular Bow I guess, but regular Bow x Banana is very possible too.

Cool stuff.

Attach file:

jpg  08-10-12 (2).JPG (84.48 KB)
5058_5201933d5439d.jpg 564X423 px

jpg  08-16-11 002.jpg (32.43 KB)
5058_5201935436c22.jpg 423X317 px

jpg  12-11-11 003.JPG (64.54 KB)
5058_5201939c86bd2.jpg 423X317 px

Posted on: 2013/8/6 20:25

From Mountville
Thanks for all the input guys. I never thought about the fish being a golden but I have never fished the Donegal when they stocked adult trout. I just assumed that they didn't stock it with goldens. The last time they stocked it was 2012.....Interesting to say the least!

Posted on: 2013/8/6 21:07

From Lancaster County
Quote:

HopBack wrote:
Thanks for all the input guys. I never thought about the fish being a golden but I have never fished the Donegal when they stocked adult trout. I just assumed that they didn't stock it with goldens. The last time they stocked it was 2012.....Interesting to say the least!

There were club-stocked golden rainbows in the stream about 10-15 years ago, although I'm doubtful this is a progeny of those fish They were smallish (8-12") but I suppose some of them could have spawned at one point, and their spawn begat other spawn, etc. Its also possible that there have been more recent club stockings of golden rainbows. And its also possible this is just a very light colored wild rainbow.

My observation has been that very few golden rainbows end up in special regs sections. I've always told myself that this is because the PFBC doesn't need to put the Lightnin' Trout in the special regs areas to attract fisherpeople, like they do in open ATW sections, but I could be completely off base.

Regardless of what it's parents were, it's a neat little fish.

Posted on: 2013/8/6 21:50

From Maytown, PA
Earlier this spring there was a golden in the stream below the Horse barn parking area. Was there for quite a while and I could never interest it in anything. It was the only one I had ever seen in there for many years.

Posted on: 2013/8/6 22:14

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Swattie,

Ryguy has it backwards I believe. A golden bow - regular bow cross would be a palomino, which is what the PFBC used to stock. Golden rainbow is the "purebred" strain.

They kept golden rainbows as brood stock, selectively breeding them with each other, so that they could keep strengthening the banana traits. But they crossed them with regular bows to make the mass quantities of palominos that would go in our streams.

Somewhere along the line, I suppose they must have considered the golden strain "finished", and started mass producing those, and that's what they now stock.

Personally, I believe the OP fish is a regular wild rainbow, not a golden or palomino.

Posted on: 2013/8/7 8:23

From Da 'Berg, PA
judging by the spots on the tails of those wild bows and the complete lack of on that fish, i'd say it was not a bow but a golden/palomino/lightning etc.

whatever it is, a great catch. and on a dry.

Posted on: 2013/8/7 8:30

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Wild bows I have caught (NW PA) have no spots on the tail. They do, however, have them on the dorsal.

This little guy, though, doesn't have spots ANYWHERE. So forget the fins, there's no spots on the body either! Those patterns on the body are more similar to parr marks than they are traditional "spots" on rainbows.

I don't know enough about rainbow development to know, for instance, how much diet plays into how visible any spots are, or what is typical at different stages of development. Could just have a diet deficient in some nutrient, or maybe most bows have no spots until a certain age. I dunno.

I also don't know on development of goldens/palomino's, if perhaps the yellow becomes more distinct at a later age. So I'm not ruling out golden. Merely stating that the coloration doesn't strike me as being nearly strong enough to even be a golden/regular hybrid.

Posted on: 2013/8/7 8:47

From South Lebanon Township, PA
pcray - Yeah, I knew there was some technical difference between a Palomino and a Golden Rainbow, just never really bothered to know which was which as I usually try to avoid streams that have them…at least during the time frame when they're usually still in the stream anyway. For the purposes of the thread I was treating them as the same…meaning either the OP fish was entirely banana, part banana, or a regular Bow.

In regards to the spots on the tails of the fish in my post…Given where they were caught it was very likely in Foxgap's, and almost entirely certain in the case of the one I caught that these were first generation descendants from PFBC stocked Bows. Perhaps it is possible that the spots begin to fade once the wild fish get a few generations removed from the stockers?

Posted on: 2013/8/7 10:40

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
Here's info on the goldens from pfbc

http://fishandboat.com/images/pages/qa/fish/trout_golden.htm

pcray is right. I feel like I've made that same mistake in the past as well.

Someone will just have to catch that fish again in the next few months and see what he looks like!

Posted on: 2013/8/7 15:07

From Harrisburg
I can't find any images of young pallies on google images to compare to the fingerling rainbows. Although I doubted it at first, every time I look at the picture it says 'golden' more and more.

Although I would imagine the odds of catching the fish again to be near-astronomical, does anyone see any markings on that fish that would be useful in later identification if, heh, lightning does strike twice?

Posted on: 2013/8/7 17:04

From LV
I say rainbow!

Typical golden trout

Posted on: 2013/8/7 22:04

From Butler, Pa
with as much as the fish commission and clubs put in our waters let alone illegal releases, I really think anything is possible anymore. I would say you caught a transported golden fingerling from the high sierra mountains. just my .02

Posted on: 2013/8/7 22:50

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com