Donegal Creek, Lancaster County

fishingnoob

fishingnoob

Just seeing if anyone has fished Donegal Creek lately and if its fishing decently. I'm gonna be in Lancaster this weekend and might have a chance at some fishing on Saturday. Donegal is my only outlet if I do.

I was there this past Wednesday, and didn't have any luck. I know plenty of people that catch lots of fish there. Apparently they aren't that selective. People say white woolybuggers work, SJW, green weenie, egg patterns, scuds, but I can't speak from personal experience - I don't have much! Lol. Definitely worth fishing, though, especially if you generally know what you're doing.

Since it is already Saturday and you may already be there, this might not be helpful in making a decision, but Donegal is worth fishing if it is the only stream you have time/access for. It is a degraded limestoner but it holds rainbow fingerlings stocked last fall, a small population of wild browns, and on rare occasions, brook trout. I can't tell if the brookies are mixed in from state stocked fish, club stocked fish, or wild and I haven't caught on in four years. Pretty much anything will work with the fingerlings; they haven't become selective feeders, yet. Everything I've nabbed recently has been caught on a wooly bugger - white, olive, or black, but I've also used nymphs, sucker spawn, egg flies with success in the past. Some stretches have an overabundance of chubs too :)

Back