Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Donegal C&R FFO: fall fingerling RT stocked

From Wrightsville
Caught four browns (no bows) in the susky in Wrightsville some years ago. I have feeling more than a few of the trout in Donegal head downstream. Never had any in the heat of the summer (probably dead and eaten by then) but I did catch one in June.

The stream seems too small to keep and hold much of a population of wild trout. Now if Chiques could support a trout population that would be a fantastic fishery. There are many areas of that creek that look wonderful. Looks, of course, don't support trout.

Posted on: 2012/10/31 21:23

From Maytown, PA
The Chiques is not spring fed like the Donegal and is much slower and warmer. Also gets more silt and run off.

Posted on: 2012/10/31 23:53

From South Lebanon Township, PA
The headwaters of Chiques used to be on the nat repro list, but was removed fairly recently IIRC. It has several small tribs on its upper end that have wild trout, so it's possible there are still some in the upper main stem, even if only migratory.

Mike, is my memory right about Chiques? If so, what did you find on the last survey?

Posted on: 2012/11/1 8:16

From Mount Joy, PA
The Chiques receives a tremendous amount of sediment from upstream sources during heavy rain events. I've never checked the temperature in the summer, but am 99% sure that it warms well beyond that of trout survival.

With regards to the Donegal, other than its headwaters, much of the stream gets "borderline" in the summer months. Plugging a temp in the neighborhood of 70 is not uncommon. It too receives a good bit of sediment from farming along its length.

If trout are making it to the Susky from the Donegal, then they're taking a "fall of faith" over the dam on Chiques that is right next to 441.

Based on the limited number of naturally reproducing RT streams in the state, I don't have high hopes that the fingerling stocking program will bear fruit. The Donegal has shown that it wants to be a naturally reproducing brown trout stream, so efforts should made to sustain and promote it.

The Donegal certainly has enough size to support a robust naturally reproducing trout population, but is hampered by a number of factors such as silt, temperature, habitat, predation, etc.

Posted on: 2012/11/3 17:03

From Wrightsville
"Donegal has shown that it wants to be a naturally reproducing brown trout stream, so efforts should made to sustain and promote it."

Couldn't agree more.

There's a easily navigated side channel beside the dam. It's been there for years. Unless there's a flood, as much water bypasses the dam than goes over it.

Posted on: 2012/11/12 21:31

« 1 2 (3)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
100 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
3 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com