Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Donegal article

Quote:

jdaddy wrote:
Quote:

Chaz wrote:
My guess is the number of wild browns has gone up because regular stocking of adult fish was stopped. Chances are the wild browns have been there a long time.

Exactly what I posted above which was Mikes thoughts on the matter as well. However, he did warn me not to get on the STOP STOCKING bandwagon.

Did he say why NOT get on the stop stocking over wild trout bandwagon?

He just gave a very good reason to get on it.

They reduced stocking of hatchery trout over wild trout, and the population of wild trout increased.

Is anyone surprised by that?

Posted on: 2013/7/29 19:04

Edited by troutbert on 2013/7/29 19:25:08

Troutbert,
Not so. The Donegal was a special case that didn't just involve stocking of adult trout; it involved what I believed to be overstocking (the key point) of adult trout, especially in a C&R situation, which I believed was reflected in the depressed forage fish population as seen in a fish population survey and, by extension, probable depression of the YOY wild trout population. The forage fish population was not depressed in the upstream stocked section, which was contiguous with the C&R area and was managed under general statewide regulations. The overstocking problem in the C&R area was quickly resolved by all interested parties, as all favored an attempt to improve the forage fish population as well as possibly the abundance of wild trout fingerlings. This all took place about a decade ago or more and was not precipitated by any "activism" to stop stocking over wild trout. It was a practical route initiated by the AFM in an attempt to resolve an apparent problem.

The improved population of wild trout older than YOY found this year is not reflective of having just switched to fingerling stockings since that change was only initiated less than a year ago. We saw other apparent YOY improvements prior to the switch to fingerling stockings. Furthermore, the stream had a very low density of apparently wild trout even prior to that.

Note: In the last decade adult trout were being stocked at most at the PFBC's normal rate.

Posted on: 2013/7/29 19:42

Edited by Mike on 2013/7/29 20:00:30
Edited by Mike on 2013/7/29 20:05:31

From LV
Quote:

jdaddy wrote:
Quote:

Chaz wrote:
My guess is the number of wild browns has gone up because regular stocking of adult fish was stopped. Chances are the wild browns have been there a long time.

Exactly what I posted above which was Mikes thoughts on the matter as well. However, he did warn me not to get on the STOP STOCKING bandwagon.

Not really.
PFBC does not consider RT to be more hardy then browns, they put them in streams with wild trout in them so they don't interfere with wild trout reproduction. That and the fact that the growth rate in hatcheries is faster.

Posted on: 2013/7/29 21:06

From Southeastern Pa
so Mike I think you hit the nail on the head about hoping this inspires a new generation.

since things seem to be going well any chance of expanding the C&R section? say maybe up to trout run ?

Posted on: 2013/7/30 22:44

From Mount Joy, PA
It would be nice to see all stocking removed from the Donegal for a period of 5-10 years and then see where the chips fall. With some habitat improvements and other stream work, I have no doubt the stream could be a vibrant wild BT stream. The big thing is curtailing the sediment and other runoff issues that affect the stream during heavy rain events.

Posted on: 2013/7/31 11:01

From Ephrata, PA
Yup. Private clubs can stop stocking, state can put a class a status on the stretch, use money and resources to continue the restoration work.

Posted on: 2013/7/31 11:13

Quote:

Chaz wrote:
Quote:

jdaddy wrote:
Quote:

Chaz wrote:

Not really.
PFBC does not consider RT to be more hardy then browns, they put them in streams with wild trout in them so they don't interfere with wild trout reproduction. That and the fact that the growth rate in hatcheries is faster.

I know a stream that I thought gets mainly RT over wild browns(but I just checked and it does get hatchery browns AND rainbows) and the wild do very well(but probably could be much bigger if hatchery browns weren't put over them) and the rainbows seem to hang on for quite some time. It is a very popular stream and gets a lot of pressure in the early spring. Does anyone have any idea when they determine to not stock hatchery browns over wild browns, besides Class A?

Interestingly, I saw a brood stock brook trout that was about 25 inches in here that was dead as a door nail, a massive fish. This stream does have native brookies in its upper and middle reaches but the browns have taken over the lower. And....I just checked and it says they stock no brookies in here, maybe they just dumped it in, because that would be a pretty penny for a club to dump in a stream that gets hammered.

Posted on: 2013/8/6 4:35

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
33 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
2 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com