Delaware Greenhorn

YoughnessMonster

YoughnessMonster

heading with a friend to the Delaware River for the first time. We're staying near Hancock and could use some advice from the board members about wadeable access points. I am using Dwight Landis book as a guide but would love some other insight about what patterns to take and anything else anyone is willing to share.

Check out the many threads on the Delaware in the Reports and Announcements/Events forum (if you haven't already) as there is much discussion of hatches etc.

As for which flies: this will depend on the season as the Delaware has complex hatches but you'll want a pretty good selection of the usual stuff. Some big streamers are always good to have too. There are many public access spots. In Hancock, you can park right there at the RT 191 bridge over the West Branch and wade up or downstream - very good spot.

Hancock bridge, Shehawken downstream to Junction Pool, Balls Eddy downstream riffle. That is what I can add.

Just get this and forget about everything else!!!!!

Fly-fishing Guide to the Upper Delaware River by Paul Weamer.

shoot me a PM. If you are up there next week, I'll be up Mon, Tue, Wed.

I just fished the state game lands this past Thursday and Friday. Bring plenty of spinners for the evening fall.

In all honesty depending on what section of river you are fishing depends on the hatch and intensity of the hatch. It is a very complex system and only putting your time in and get experience there will help you understand what is going on. I know it doesn't sound like much help but it is very hard for someone to give a report there because what happens yesterday there isn't what is going to happen tomorrow. With that being said I would have these flies at a minimum and carry a good selection of sizes of each.

March brown
grey fox
sulphurs
bwo
caddis
rusty spinners
hendricksons
standard nymph patterns

Jay,

almost exactly what I sent him by PM a few minutes ago. If I had to fish an entire season with only one fly up there, rusty spinner

Yough,

sorry about the essay I sent you by PM. LOL. Should be some good info though.

You're the man krayfish!

Don't forget streamers. If you get stuck cover a run with something big, maybe articulated, and a sinking line. Don't forget to use 3x or 2x though-- those (deleted) will snap your line like a strand of hair if they hit against a tug.

how did that curse work get through the filters? it always changed mine to "oops". Maybe I'm just on "the list". LMAO

krayfish wrote:
Jay,

almost exactly what I sent him by PM a few minutes ago. If I had to fish an entire season with only one fly up there, rusty spinner

Me too Andy. It's my favorite pattern to fish especially during some hatches not just in the evening.

Sorry I'm still pretty green myself to the upper D...
Its seems like you've gotten some good advice so far...Kray has always put me on fish up there, but I'm terrible about remembering the river until I get into the water...

Not sure when you're heading up, but I'll be there the 2nd weekend in June

Leaving in4 hrs PhilC

If you are up now, you should just leave now! Lol

When you get out of Lydia's, let me know how you made out and if any of my info/directions were helpful.

Just got back! Amazing hatches caddis, march browns and sulfers everywhere! Big rainbows in the evening podding up everywhere. West branch from shehawkin to junction pool was great all day long with fish rising all hours.

Does anyone know any campgrounds near the west branch? I know about Al Caucci's, but I heard that was only for seasonal trailers. I'm going up on June 6th and I don't really know where I'm staying yet. I know there are plenty in the Roscoe area, but I want to be as close to the river as I can. Thanks!

For camping, not much less than 15 miles from Hancock. Peaceful valley on upper EB may be the closest. There's also one off the cooks falls exit on the Beaverkill.

Thanks Krayfish! I figured as much because I didn't find anything on the internet that was real close. I'll keep the one on the east branch in mind.

Back