Colyer Lake, Centre County

jifigz

jifigz

Does anyone know how much water is remaining in Colyer Lake? I know that they said that it was to be drained completely but I am curious as to whether this is still somewhat of a pond there or something. Thank you for any replies.

Drove by there on friday. There's still a decent amount of water. I was wondering the same thing about it draining completely as it doesn't seem to have dropped since the fall.

It's not going to be drained completely until it is fixed. Though I believe it's sitting at about 30 acres.

allan_s wrote:
It's not going to be drained completely until it is fixed. Though I believe it's sitting at about 30 acres.

The lake was originally only 77 acres, so being still at 30 acres isn't too bad. That is still plenty of water left to consider fishing. Now I wonder about how much depth there is still in this much smaller pond. If it wasn't deep enough the ice could have done a tremendous amount of damage to the fish population this winter. I hope that they have the money to fix it at some point. I loved fishing for bass and pickerel there.

luckily, the residents around there are wealthy, and one is a centre county judge. If it weren't for that, I suspect it would have been drained by now!

http://www.savecolyerlake.org

is this a fish commission lake? I ask because there are a few fish commission owned lakes in my area that have been drained, but only a couple are gonna be fixed, there is one that is being handled rather suspiciously, seems some developers have their eyes on the land, and hey, how about that, the dam is bad so the lake must be drained, so now we can build that golf course and condos!!
F-n bastards.

bikerfish wrote:
is this a fish commission lake? I ask because there are a few fish commission owned lakes in my area that have been drained, but only a couple are gonna be fixed, there is one that is being handled rather suspiciously, seems some developers have their eyes on the land, and hey, how about that, the dam is bad so the lake must be drained, so now we can build that golf course and condos!!
F-n bastards.

Yes this is a PFBC lake. It is, by mileage, the closest lake that is open to public fishing and has good access near my house, so I enjoyed going there. I am actually going there today and having a little picnic with my girlfriend and trying to catch a fish or two...maybe I'll post some pics of the lake to show what it looks like in case anyone else cares.

That does seem a little suspicious about the other PFBC lakes being drained. What can we say other than money talks and in the end that is what people care about most. Kind of sad, isn't it?

At least one PFBC lake, Glade Run Lake (North of pittsburgh) is going to make a return.

It was drained about 2 years ago because of troubles with the dam. There was a recent article showing that the state was going to allocate some funds to help rebuild the dam and the lake.

So all is not lost with these lakes.

And lets not forget that the lakes are important to fishing, even if they are not pristine places to fish.

This is slightly off topic, but: I'm just coming back to fishing as an adult, after a 30 year break. I was talking to my wife about it the other day, and realized that almost every single memory I have of fishing as a child was from Colyer Lake (I grew up in Boalsburg).

I hope things work out for everyone, including the next generation of fishermen growing up in that area.

Cheers,
-Mark Rebuck

It'd be a shame to see it drained. I used to love fishing there when I was in college. Caught plenty of chain pickerel and panfish there. So, is it ever going to be completely drained, or just partly in order to fix the dam?

@jifigz - so *that's* why you couldn't fish kish yesterday, huh? Some excuse. Lol. Did you catch any fish while you were there?

@jifigz - so *that's* why you couldn't fish kish yesterday, huh? Some excuse. Lol. Did you catch any fish while you were there?

Whoa there fella! I couldn't fish Kish because I had to get my final exam done...and now I'm officially a college graduate with a B.S. After the exam was done and the girlfriend and I had some time, however, all was fair game.

Caught 5 bass and 2 pickerel total in about 2 hours. As is typical with Colyer, all were dinks. My girlfriend had the biggest fish of the day hooked and lost it. It appeared to be a pickerel pushing the 20" mark.

jifigz wrote:

Whoa there fella! I couldn't fish Kish because I had to get my final exam done...and now I'm officially a college graduate with a B.S. After the exam was done and the girlfriend and I had some time, however, all was fair game.

Caught 5 bass and 2 pickerel total in about 2 hours. As is typical with Colyer, all were dinks. My girlfriend had the biggest fish of the day hooked and lost it. It appeared to be a pickerel pushing the 20" mark.

Ha ha no problem. I was just giving you a hard time. Congrats on graduating, btw. Good to hear there are some nice pickerel in colyer. I've only ever caught smaller ones - up to like 12" or 14" if I had to guess.

Back