Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Cohocton River Western NY Any One Fished It?

From Media Pa
Has anyone fished this river? It flows from the finger lakes through Bath NY into the Chemung River. My sister has a home on Lake Canandaigua which is near the River's headwaters. When I visit her I drive along sections of the river and it looks like a nice spot to fish.
Canandaigua Lake Chapter, Trout Unlimited is compelling me to take time off from fishing Lake Canandaigua and try the Cohocton.

http://www.canandaigualaketu.org/images/cohoctonguide.pdf

http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/fish_marine_pdf/pfrcohoctriv.pdf

Posted on: 2013/9/6 10:57

Re: Cohocton River Western NY Any One Fished It?

From Harrisburg
Dear fade,

I fished it a few times when I lived up that way. The upper end around Atlanta has some wild brook trout but depending on the time of year, as in early May after a typical Winter, the land around the stream is rather swampy and home to hordes of vicious swarming mosquitoes.

Down closer to Avoca it is a large to very large trout stream for the Eastern US. I've fished some down there too but I never really caught a good hatch, mostly because I was fishing when I should have been working and I'd grab an hour of fishing here and there. I did OK on the lower river on streamers though.

It's a nice stream though and well worth exploring.

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Posted on: 2013/9/7 14:34
"Then the coal company came with the world's largest shovel, and they tortured the timber and stripped all the land. Well they dug for their coal till the land was forsaken, then they wrote it all down as the progress of man."

From Media Pa
Thanks Tim. Sitting in a boat fishing for smallies is way too boring. Plus you have to deal with all that bottom grass fouling your hook.

Posted on: 2013/9/7 16:39

From Harrisburg
Dear fade,

If you call smallie fishing boring you're not doing it right!

The smallmouth fishing in the Southern Tier on NY is world's better than anything PA has to offer, with the possible exception of Lake Erie.

I did much better in the Susquehanna drainage than I did in the Chemung drainage though. The fish tended to run much larger in the Susky drainage though the numbers caught were similar.

The Cohocton is a nice stream and when I lived up there from 1990 to 2001 it was not fished very much at all. If I encountered another fisherman they were usually a kid with a can of worms.

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Posted on: 2013/9/7 16:51
"Then the coal company came with the world's largest shovel, and they tortured the timber and stripped all the land. Well they dug for their coal till the land was forsaken, then they wrote it all down as the progress of man."

From Chester County
Quote:

fadeaway263 wrote:
Thanks Tim. Sitting in a boat fishing for smallies is way too boring. Plus you have to deal with all that bottom grass fouling your hook.

Put away the nightcrawlers and minnies and fish them on flies.....boring!?.....sheesh!

Attach file:

jpg  Yawn.jpg (127.57 KB)
53_522ba0a47fe8a.jpg 500X376 px

Posted on: 2013/9/7 17:54

From Ohio
Fished it once in Bath near the VA, it was OK, nothing to write home about.

Posted on: 2013/9/7 18:49

From Harrisburg
Dear fade,

The key to the Cohocton is remembering that it's a big wide creek draining an equally big and wide valley. A lot of your success depends on precipitation or the lack thereof. It can be high and muddy or low and cobble strewn.

Keep in mind when it is low that it has many tributaries with wild trout in them. Find them and fish below them in warm low water periods and you will do better.

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Posted on: 2013/9/7 19:51

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
57 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
2 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com