Codorus Creek, York County

Brownie101

Brownie101

Thinking about hitting Codorus this weekend in the TT section, any tips on flies, etc. would be appreciated. Thanks.

For starters: Scuds, streamer (blacknose dace), sculpin immitations will match some of the naturals. Nearly all streams of this type have brown or green caddis nymphs along with Baetids, such as blue-winged olive nymphs.

Thanks Mike.

If your not a purest, with the rain, IPW or GW.

Theoretically, the stream should be a good streamer stream as long as the streamers are weighted enough to get them down. The stream has not been electrofished for a number of years, but it has a history of low density forage fish populations and a fairly high frequency of less-than-ideal weight trout (many are a bit thin). The weight problem still exists based on fish I caught a few weeks ago. One would think that these fish should be looking for " a good meal" and with limited forage fish (if that is still the case) they may be more likely to hit a streamer there than in streams where forage is not a problem. It's worth a try.

Mike wrote:
Theoretically, the stream should be a good streamer stream as long as the streamers are weighted enough to get them down. The stream has not been electrofished for a number of years, but it has a history of low density forage fish populations and a fairly high frequency of less-than-ideal weight trout (many are a bit thin). The weight problem still exists based on fish I caught a few weeks ago. One would think that these fish should be looking for " a good meal" and with limited forage fish (if that is still the case) they may be more likely to hit a streamer there than in streams where forage is not a problem. It's worth a try.

Agree, agree, agree. As I mentioned in a previous stream report post, this stream has never produced well for me with streamers. Not that fish haven't hit a bugger drifted or stripped, but a large of my success on this stream has been with generic nymph patterns (PT, BHHE, etc.). If you're lucky enough to catch something coming off, all the better, but going underneath you can't beat a caddis pattern.

Does anyone know what qualifies as "fishable" on Codorus? I have been checking the USGS streamflow but since I have never been there I don't really have an idea. Thanks for the comments.

Brownie - as long as there aren't any large, distinct spikes on the graph you'll probably be alright. If you compare the current flow to the mean, median and other values published on the site, you can pretty much tell if the flows are near 'normal'. Muddy water is more likely to make it unfishable than high water, but if you give it a day or 2 after the gauge spikes, it's usually clear enough.

Codorus recovers nicely from high flows. I have had success chucking wooly buggers while the water is rising during a rain event - see the "fishing in the rain" thread.

In general, small generic pheasant tails in natural and olive, along with soft hackles in the same colors will generally take fish. And of course, don't forget the green weenie!

I did go to Codorus on Sunday, the water was high and muddy, and I managed two browns on Olive Buggers. BelAirSteve, I actually talked to a guy who said he was from Bel Air, that wouldn't be you would it?

Brownie, not that was not me, but it was my neighbor!

Fished SB Codorus Creek on the 25th (Seven Valleys and Grainary Rd). Beautiful morning lots of creek chubs and one small brown. Im new to the area and just reacently got back into Fly fishing for trout. (Fly fished for big bonefish in Hawaii). anyone interested in meeting up on weekend mornings or weeknight evenings to fish SB CK let me know.

Glenny,

Welcome to the forum and to S. York County! PM me and we can see about getting together to fish, although my schedule can be tricky.

As for S. Codorus Parts of it hold trout all year, fishes well Nov-may for browns and whatever they stock in April/May. Can get crazy in April lots of fisherman.

Downstream past 7 valleys it can be a good warm water fishery, although this year has not treated me well. Past few years good for small smb as well as Rock bass and red-breast.

GlenRockonthefly,
I'm suprised you have not been having any luck with the bass on the s branch this year. I've been finding them in a good amount of the holes, and I live farther up from seven valleys, around larue rd. I think it's been a pretty good summer for them.

Thinking of fishing this tomorrow morning anyone want to ?

Fished yesterday SB Codorus Creek from 7:30 to 10. No luck a couple rises to a 12 black gnat and on nice size fish on a 12 Bead head prince (never saw the fish) that got off.

Fished upstream section of seven valleys by the Fire Department.

Still a nice morning out but awfully hot and humid gonna have to try wet wading next weekend.

Glenny have you hit up the TT section of Codorus near Porters? It is a nice little tailwater about 7 miles from Seven Valleys that stays nice and cold year round and is usually pretty productive for brownies.

Barnuba wrote:
Glenny have you hit up the TT section of Codorus near Porters? It is a nice little tailwater about 7 miles from Seven Valleys that stays nice and cold year round and is usually pretty productive for brownies.

Yeah...also you are fishing in the lower limit of the stocked area. That area is terrible. Try upstream (south on 616) where it hits route 216 Centerville and fish north (Back downstream)to Grannery Road. This area is open to fishing year round and gets a couple light stockings and had good numbers of wild brown trout. and it stays cooler with Pierceville run and other tribs helping it along.

I will have to give it a try this weekend. Any reccomended flys for the TT section.

I will definitely try the area upstream of Grannary road. Any tips on summer flys. I here wooly buggers and green weenies work good any reccomendations? New to the area and just getting a feel on where the best spots are. Thanks for the tips

Back