Clarks Creek

L

LimestoneSpecial

I've been fishing the fly section of Clarks for more than 40 years. This is where I learned the basics. Solid hatches and a good number of trout was the perfect recipe for a beginner.

I just spent Sunday afternoon fishing my favorite stretches and there were literally no fish to be caught. This isn't the first time this has happened. Last year was the same.

Now maybe back in the 1970's having some of these holes look like an aquarium was a little much, but presently you can't fine one trout in these same holes...and I mean not just fishing for them, but nothing darts away from being spooked either. And other fisherman I have talked to have similar complaints.

So, is there a memo I missed or what is going on? Last year I think I stopped going because there were no fish, even into May. I expect the same this year.

Anyone know what's going on?

I can't speak for Clarks, but what was the condition of the stream when it was stocked? I know where I fished Saturday, they were unable to get the truck down the forest road they normally stock from. Snow only mostly melted out a week and a half ago. The stream itself was covered with up to six inches of ice, which they had to chip holes in to allow the fish to be dumped in. They had to run fish on ATVs from another forest road. The net result was that the hole beside where we camped, which normally is filled with buckets of fish yielded exactly one fish hooked and caught all weekend. It may just be that they were unable to stock the stretch you fished.

That being said, I had a similar experience on Clarks about ten years ago. Likely looking water held no fish, or at least I couldn't raise them. I blamed the fisherman at the time.

I just checked the stocking schedule and it looks like 5/8 is another stocking. But remember I had the same issues last year. This was my early season stream for Hendricksons. When the weather got sunny and warm in April, I couldn't wait to get to Clarks.

I know a stream I helped stock with a local Sportsmans club last Saturday we put 100 lbs in.. it ends up roughly give or take 4 fish to a pound. Brooks and browns. Nothing over 13 inches. They are from Laureley Fork sportsmen in young woman's creek. You can tell the difference between their trout and the state trout.

Long story short, we didn't pick up what we considered a sports men's stocked trout until about a mile and a half to 2 miles downstream from where we put them.

Higher water pushed them down. Not sure that helps your case. I Am Unfamiliar with clarkclark

In the 80's you had lots of fish and some big ones too. The log jams, bank erosion, poaching, silting, etc put that section at the bottom of a 'must fish' list. The first 5 miles below the dam should be managed differently...it could be pretty good.

ill agree with andy on the silt issue. the ffo is filled with tons of silt in most of its reaches now. There is spots where there is tons of fish for sure. but the stocking was not so good this year. there is fish there though. Ive recently been out there and did the 30 plus on stockies no problem. if they managed the dam better this stream could be untouchable.

Others have touched on it, but Clarks Creek is suffering from heavy siltation and the high water conditions in 2011 really changed the complexion of the stream in certain spots. Fish seem to be much more concentrated now into pockets, followed by long stretches of dead water habitat.

Fished Clarks last year and got into lots of fish. Lots. Plenty of wild fish, too.

Now, mind you, this was during cicada time ... so, clearly a different picture than one would experience under normal conditions.

I'd just echo what Krayfish and Letort said. I used to really enjoy Clark's. Always plenty of fish (sometimes too many in one spot) including some wild ones, very scenic for being minutes outside of Harrisburg, some decent hatches and often not crowded. My last couple of trips after the flood event of 2011 were really disappointing. A lot of decent spots really filled up with silt. I stopped going as a result.

They are doing a lot of work on 325 with channeling the runnoff / doing seep dinghy into the creek via culvert pipes. Don't know if it will help with erosion. Someone organize a project for an overhaul on that section. I'll help dig / move junk etc.

Like some said above. I had great luck during the cicada hatch. But that was above the ffo area. The ffo area has been exactly as the op described for the last two times I fished it,both times were in winter and didn't even spook a fish. And if siltation is the problem,look out because there's a lot of logging going on there.

Not sure if I feel better hearing that getting skunked there last time out was not all my fault or sad that a beautiful close stream is not a good option. I am a newbie but have not seen any fish the last two times I fished Clark's.

ratgunner wrote:
Like some said above. I had great luck during the cicada hatch. But that was above the ffo area. The ffo area has been exactly as the op described for the last two times I fished it,both times were in winter and didn't even spook a fish. And if siltation is the problem,look out because there's a lot of logging going on there.

Might be a causal relationship there, perhaps? I used to drive 325 on a fairly regular basis and couldn't recall how far up the logging started. Looking at a recent satellite photo, it looks to be mostly above the dam, so the sand is probably coming from another source. But I'm sure the sediment load behind the reservoir is much higher than it was ten years ago.

LimestoneSpecial wrote:
I just checked the stocking schedule and it looks like 5/8 is another stocking. But remember I had the same issues last year. This was my early season stream for Hendricksons. When the weather got sunny and warm in April, I couldn't wait to get to Clarks.

It pains me to hear the conditions in Clarks Creek. I fished it regularly from the early 70's through the 80's. Like you, I couldn't wait to fish the Hendrickson hatch, which was pretty darn good.

Within the past year there was a discussion about the current conditions, and I was chastised for suggesting the removal of logs jams that are causing siltation, which smothers life. One person even stated that the log jams were good hiding places for fish. A small trade-off when you consider the down-side of heavy siltation.

I remember that post you are talking about and it's by a person that doesn't live near the stream so I can only guess they don't fish it.

I know I fished it in the 80's with Bob Clouser. I watched him take 15 fish from one run. We took over 100 fish that day between caddis and hendrickson hatches. You would see tons of fish, some in the 18"-22" range. You'd see big pickerel and some good hatches. So much of the stream (in ffo area) is log jams and thick sand bottom, it's had to impact the insect life.
The result is all anglers stack up in the little bit of riffle water that's deep enough to fish. Some sections seem void of fish and other sections seem to hold few fish. There are 2"-5" natives scattered throughout it.

If you enjoy wading out, standing for 30 minutes until the fish settle down and then feed your ant downstream 60' to get a take.....only to reel in a 7" fish......have at it. It's all yours. At one point in the 80's, they were trying to establish a drake hatch by planting nymphs from big fishing and Penns. Not sure that project was state approved.

The timber cutting I've seen has been above the lake. The sand deposits / silt I've seen looks like it comes from the many tiny feeders. It washes down off the steep mountain terrain.

It is a shame. I live 2 minutes from it and might spend about 2 hrs a year on it. Above h below ffo area is probably better fishing at this point.

I hadn't considered the silt issues, but when I stepped off the bank at one of my favorite stretches I sunk about a foot deep. I always wore hip boots and granted the stream was up a little on Sunday, but I never wished I had brought my waders until then.

A few responses here reference 2011 as the turning point and I couldn't agree more. It's only been the last few years I've noticed issues.

However, I fished above the ffo section last year for the cicadas and did fairly well, so I'm not sure how the ffo section is taking the biggest hit and the remainder of the stream is not as bad?

Krayfish,
2"--5" natives sound like nice bait...thanks for the tip!

Like the avatar painting...but don't loose Ronnie Warbucks

I've noticed logging on the other side of the creek in the ffo section. I'm sure when they're done above the dam they'll probably cut more below. But I'm just saying that's a possible future issue. 2011 was the big hit. The ffo section was always(in my mind)one of the worst sections of the whole stream as far as gradient,substrate and fish holding pools to winter over. If it was closer to the dam that'd be a huge help.

I'm not sure they are stocking the FFO like they used to. The flooding the last couple of years is probably hurting conditions too.

Yea a combination of the flooding and people sneaking in there keeping them

Back