Clarion River

S

slackwater

Does anyone know what floatable levels for the Clarion River are from Johnsonburg to Ridgway and Ridgway to Cooksburg?

I would say absolutely, I was down there for free fish day, even with a drought, this summer the water was at least 1 1/2'in the shallowest parts I saw between johnsonsburg n ridgeway and I would guess the same for farther down river.

I've floated johnsonburg to ridgway quite a few times, and I prefer it to be around 1000cfs or 5 ft on the usgs gauge. I like fishing streamers on higher water, most would probably prefer 400-600 cfs.

I have floated most the river between Ridgway and Cooksburg, and I won't go without at least a 3 on the Ridgway gauge. Anything below that and it gets really skinny and bumpy in places - I prefer a reading of 3.5 to 4'.

But which Gauge?

I go by the Ridgway gauge:

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/usa/nwis/uv?03029000

Also, there is a canoe shop right on the river called lazy river canoe rental. They've always shuttled me on my trips. They also have a nice lawn, and they will allow you to camp there overnight if you are a customer.

http://www.lazyrivercanoerental.com/

If you wanted to float multiple days, you can start on the east branch and float to ridgway, then float downstream from there.

I've always wanted to fish below ridgway during the cooler months, but I never had the opportunity. I've caught nice browns all the way to the takeout, and I'm sure that there are a few big fish below ridgway as well.

Thanks guys. I appreciate it. I have heard 3ft was the minimum but i didn't know which gauge that referenced.

East branch is a very fun float, especially from the outlow to Bendigo State Parke.

I' paddled that section once. Very nice.

As for water conditions, you'll find your answer on any given day at the link below. Green means go :)

http://www.americanwhitewater.org/content/River/state-summary/state/PA/

Thanks for clarifying the gauges, there are at least 6 gauges listed for the drainage. It makes a huge difference.

I am going to do some fishing in ridgway near the canoe rental places and up at the east branch dam tailrace. I was talking with an older gentleman yesterday and he was telling me aboutpeople catching some really nice trout in that area. he also said that the lake trout are getting out of the dam and breeding with the brown trout, is this even possible?

Any recommendations for nice cabins or hotels at a decent price?

I believe there is a Clarion Hotel in St. Marys and the Royal Inn in Ridgeway. The Royal Inn is old and has small rooms, but is resonably priced and has the only good resturant in the area which is a real plus if you fish long and hard each day. I fish the east and west branches by wading and canoe the main stem. While the area between Johnsonburg and Ridgeway holds some big trout don't be afraid to canoe the main stem from Ridgeway downstream. Some of the biggest browns I have ever seen in a freestone are down there. They often hang out just below the feeder creeks waiting for some tastey naive stockies to find their way into the mainstem and yeah they are that big if you are into trophy sized browns. The east branch gets stocked heavily by the state and clubs and is a good bet if you are more comfortable fishing for stocked trout and smaller wild browns.

Great river, lots of fish! The outlet on the East Branch holds some big fish. If you wade across the stream and walk up next to the outlet, just look over the wall! I've caught some great fish there. There is a sign posted that prohibits wading past a certain point, but it is an easy cast to the shelf that the fish hold on.
As for lakes and browns spawning, I would have no clue. But I would guess it more than likely that fish are entering the stream from the dam, with the amount of water that has been let out of the dam in the past few months.

mike15851 wrote:
he also said that the lake trout are getting out of the dam and breeding with the brown trout, is this even possible?

No.

Thanks for the info Longwader

Jackstraw, Last time I mentioned those fish I got some nasty-grams from the local boys.
You know there are no big fish in the East or the West Branch, at least according to the local folks and the big wild browns from the mainstem never work their way up to the headwaters either.

Yes, LongWader, you are correct. There are no big fish in the east branch. Actually no fish at all-from the dam to the confluence of the Allegheny, zero fish! People shouldnt even waste their time fishing that river! Oh yea, no fish in the west branch of it either! ;)

I would further add that the nice trout that readily take dry flies in Toby's creek which is a trib of the Clarion don't exist.

Back