Clarion River area

mike_richardson

mike_richardson

Besides your standard nymphs and streamers, anything work really well in this area?

there are no fish in the area!

Eggs will catch fish and this time of the year you got a lot of stockers that end up in the river. So the normal stuff all works don't be afraid to use junk flies and flashy bugs. But i do suggest headed to Tionesta I read on here its much better. :)

I won't be fishing this. I had a guy request flies from Virgina who will be in the area soon. I figured everything would work. He will be fishing DHALO areas. i assumed they had just been stocked so eggs/sucker spawn were on my list.

BHPT and BHHE as well.

i need more info on the time of the year to really help you out.

1st week of april into the first day.

Hendricksons, Caddis(Grammon) maybe, Steamers anything buggy and big in black or olive. Bigger stonefly nymphs are good espically for golden stones. San Juan worms can also be productive. If he is from out of the area its not an easy river to figure out access on. I hope they are aware of that issue.

Thanks for the input. I will relay it to him and see what he would like. I had told him most of what you mentioned. for his assortment.

I will be going back up in Mid-September. I find I have the river mostly to myself that time of year because it is past the end of the Summer season and before the big push for the spawning browns in Oct-Nov. You won't see as many submarines, but the fish seem less pressured and willing to bite. I will not be fly fishing this time and will be trophy hunting with heavier spinning tackle. I am tired of getting my butt handed to me by fish I cannot even move from the holding spots or fish that hang up my leaders on boulders or brush because I can not put enough pressure them to have any control. Those big browns are smart and don't venture to far from the safe spots. My typical smallmouth fly outfit does well until I hit one of the submarines, then it seems all bets are off. If I am going that heavy I am planning to go to the dark side to see if I can land one on braid line.

LongWader,

just curious, but do you wade or float it?

Hammer, I will be wading. The Clarion is an interesting and challenging river to fish. It gets float fished a lot and the biggest wild browns seem to get their radar up when there is a canoe or raft on the river. A number of times I have been experiencing good fishing and then all at once the bite shuts down. The next thing that happens is a canoe or pontoon boat coming floating down the river. It usually takes an hour or more for the bite to start up again. I am not saying that you cannot catch trophy browns float fishing, I am just saying that from my experience you are less likely to. The really big browns only seem to feed for about an hour and a half per day and I want to maximize my chances by employing stealth tactics.

LongWader wrote:
Hammer, I will be wading. The Clarion is an interesting and challenging river to fish. It gets float fished a lot and the biggest wild browns seem to get their radar up when there is a canoe or raft on the river. A number of times I have been experiencing good fishing and then all at once the bite shuts down. The next thing that happens is a canoe or pontoon boat coming floating down the river. It usually takes an hour or more for the bite to start up again. I am not saying that you cannot catch trophy browns float fishing, I am just saying that from my experience you are less likely to. The really big browns only seem to feed for about an hour and a half per day and I want to maximize my chances by employing stealth tactics.

Thanks LongWader

That rivers been discussed between me and some friends as one we'd like to fish sometime. A Clackacraft would likely make the trip with also.

Good points made about fish sensing a boats presence. We have experienced all too well about how some fish, mainly bigger fish, can react to a boats presence on the Delaware.

Hammertime -

If you're thinking about the catch and release area between ridgeway and johnsonburg - a driftboat would be kinda large there for normal summer and fall flows. A canoe or kayak is much better suited for this area of the river IMO

The river is up right know due to the recent rains, but I would concur with the kayak or pontoon boat for the catch and release section. A kayak with its lower profile would be stealthier and of course it makes it more challenging to cast. The pontoon boats tend to stay to one side and cast to the other if the know the river well. Going down the middle can work in some sections, but the high profile of the pontoon boat works against you with the older and wiser submarines. That said the average sized wild brown in the Clarion is 18 inches and great sport on lighter tackle. Most of your better fish will come from river side boulder pockets with cover and brush cover near the banks so a good side cast will come in real handy. Hellgramites, adult crayfish, and adult fall fish are all on the menu so be prepared to cast larger offerings. A typical smallmouth fly rod is or big river trout rod will work for the majority of fish in the main stem.

spinning rod? might as well just use bait. hell I feel better able to control them on a fly rod you have more leverage.

Thanks guys

We have a pontoon boat to use also so we can play it by ear. We'd probably wait till the flows are right then head up.

Saw a crayfish there while fishing that was every bit 8". Looked like a lobster.

NHanes, I fly fish, spin fish, and bait caster fish in Fresh and Saltwater and I match the tackle to the type and weight of the lures/flies. I have not use bait in 35 years and only use barbless hooks and I have probably killed about 3 trout in that 35 years. You are welcomed to your opinion, but my time is limited and truly huge brown trout don't get big chacing bugs when there are not many of them in the River. The size of the streamers I would need would require a fly set up that I would not enjoy using or am very good at casting since I don't do it very often.

Destined for the Clarion River in two days. Unfortunately I fell and jammed/sprained my right wrist, but I am still looking forward to it. They are predicting some cloudy conditions and possibly some showers the end of this week. Those are good conditions for the river

Good luck LongWader.

LongWader wrote:
Destined for the Clarion River in two days. Unfortunately I fell and jammed/sprained my right wrist, but I am still looking forward to it. /quote]

Hope you bounce back soon.
Let us know how you made out - we're waiting with great anticipation for those monster trout glory pics. No pressure. :cool:

Back