Broadhead what's up with all the posted water

KeithS

KeithS

I was under the impression there was much more open water. I was up near Analomink and it seemed it was ALL posted. Granted, the stream is 21 miles long, but I guess I drove along 7 or 8 miles of it and there were signs all along it.

It's been that way for 150 years or so, I think.

Drive south on 191 from analomimk. its all open there but very few wild trout below Analomink.

Yea, it's been that way as long as I can remember. I've been fishing it for at leaset 30 yrs. And true not as many wild fish as there used to be. But a few here and there. But is does have lots of holdovers. Even better below Stroudsburg.

GenCon

There was recently a new purchase of land along the creek at Analomink, that will when completed open some water that's been closed for decades. The sings will come down. It is going to be public land.

There is good fishing with wild fish in the parks in storudsburg. If you wana venture out, give the gorge a go. Be careful. Quality over quantity.

There is much more public water upstream of analomink than most know about. A few clubs and farms have sold out, just got to do your research as these spots are still relatively untouched and the 20 inch trout still relatively stupid. Lots of natives and lots of pig club trout upstream.

Chaz offered up one spot. Do your research and you'll get the details. Just watch my turtle lines in there please during the summer.

If you really want a thrill, fish it the week before opening day and watch all the old club fools come down and harass the snot out of you "can't be fishin in here until Saturday". Then hand them your phone. What fun. They absolutely can't stand the public in there poking their fish.

Paradise has some public water as well upstream of analomink, but that takes a ton of research to find - think tax maps and foreclosure lists.....A lot more wild fish here than in the brod head though.

npaszko wrote:

If you really want a thrill, fish it the week before opening day and watch all the old club fools come down and harass the snot out of you "can't be fishin in here until Saturday". Then hand them your phone. What fun. They absolutely can't stand the public in there poking their fish.

Lol that is the #censor# I like to do.

It's always about the access, the good thing about the clubs is that they do protect the water and slow development in the headwaters.
I've been invited but gracefully declined, maybe when I'm old and lame, say about five years, I'll accept.

Buck Hill Creek is excellent you just need to know where to sneak in :)

Henryville club, great place to fish if ya know someone in the club. ....brookies over 14"

Chaz wrote:
There was recently a new purchase of land along the creek at Analomink, that will when completed open some water that's been closed for decades.

The newly acquired land also has a building that local groups (which includes Brodhead TU chapter) plan to hopefully make into a Pocono fly fishing museum. Supposedly fly fishing in America began in the Pocono's before the Catskills!

Does anyone know if the funds have been raised to complete the purchase of the new property on the Brodhead? They were trying to raise the final $$ to match a foundation grant at the end of last year. Sure would be great if all the grousers about the clubs would drop a few dollars in the hat for public access to this awesome, historic water.

Join the BWA!
http://www.brodheadwatershed.org

As a followup: here is the email I received late last year:

NEW SPECIAL REGULATION ACCESS ON THE BRODHEAD

Fellow Anglers,

As a lifelong fisherman and lover of rivers, I’d like to share with you a tremendous opportunity that has been presented on my very favorite stream, the Brodhead. In December 2012, a 40+ acre parcel between Analomink and Henryville on the nations most historic trout water came up for sale. In odrer to protect this naturally significant and historically well known section of the stream, leaders of the Brodhead Watershed Association (BWA) and the Pocono Heritage Land Trust (PHLT) presented to Ed Cramer and Daryl Eppley, two of the very forward thinking Supervisors of Stroud Township, a plan to turn the former golf course into a nature preserve. They immediately saw that this proposed preserve could serve as the centerpiece to a greenway that the Township has been putting together over the last two decades. The Supervisors voted to commit money from the Township’s Open Space Fund to the project and, in May, they were able to acquire the property.

Then in June, we received more good news. A representative of The Peter Jay Sharp Foundation in New York informed Doug Swift, a board member of BWA, that the Foundation had approved a 1:1 matching grant of $25,000 to BWA and PHLT with the provision that all of the funds be used to help create what is now being called the Forevergreen Preserve.

Since that time, the pieces have been falling into place and the former golf course is quickly evolving into a nature preserve that will serve as the crown jewel in the Township’s greenway and offer public access to very fishable, gorgeous, historic trout water managed under special regulations. Our vision is that the building on the property will become headquarters for BWA and PHLT and an interpretive center providing education, including a display highlighting key role of the Brodhead in the development of American flyfishing tradition.

One remaining hurdle is matching the Foundation’s grant. Therefore, I’m hoping that anyone who has ever wanted to drop a line into the cold, clear waters of the Brodhead will join me in helping to match this grant and turning this tremendous opportunity into a reality. As fisherman, this is a project we can all be proud of, so please make your tax-deductible donation to the Brodhead Watershed Association; Box 339; Henryville, PA 18332 and designate your gift for the Forevergreen Preserve.

Many thanks, and I’ll see you on the river,

Don Baylor

I heard from Don that it looks like the stretch of Brodhead will be DHALO but the above mentioned organizations are pushing for CR FF only. There is a good wild brown population in this section so if it's DHALO it'll be another case of stocking over wild.

If this link works, you'll be able to see public parks along Brodhead Creek.

http://tinyurl.com/StroudParks

Thanks for the link.

Back