Blymire Hollow Run, York Co. - potential Class A - update

M

Mike

As suspected last March during a stocked trout residency survey, Blymire Hollow Run's wild brown trout population has reached the equivalent of a Class A biomass. As of yesterday's population estimate, the biomass was 60 kg/ha, while the minimum required for a Class A wild brown trout population is 40 kg/ha. Sampling the same sampling site in 1978 for 300 yds produced one trout in 1978, and that may have been a stocked trout. In 1995, 230 yards at that same sampling site produced 16 wild browns. Yesterday, during the first of three electrofishing passes at that site, 99 wild browns were captured in 284 yards. The largest fish was 12 inches. This is at least the fourth time that I have witnessed a small or non-existent wild brown trout population become established and grow to Class A or equivalent biomass despite the same stream section being stocked, sometimes intensively, with adult trout (Codorus Ck, Valley Ck, Conowingo Ck).

Stocking will continue until a second survey is conducted. The stream has been stocked in recent years with brook trout by the PFBC in an effort to minimize impacts on wild brown trout and perhaps assist the population to grow. If the wild brown trout population is again the equivalent of a Class A biomass during the next survey, then, according to the PFBC policy, the stream can be proposed for removal from the trout stocking program. Given legislation presently being considered, it is unclear at this point that removal will be a given.

I would add that only part of this stream section is on public land. The rest is privately owned and the private property that I saw yesterday was posted against hunting, but fishing was permitted. It is unclear in most cases statewide and here, what will happen to fishing being permitted when a Class A segment is no longer stocked. One needs to consider that a very minor state stocking program, such as the one on Blymire, can be the key to keeping such waters open to public fishing with little impact on the wild trout population.

Mike wrote:
Stocking will continue until a second survey is conducted. The stream has been stocked in recent years with brook trout by the PFBC in an effort to minimize impacts on wild brown trout and perhaps assist the population to grow. If the wild brown trout population is again the equivalent of a Class A biomass during the next survey, then, according to the PFBC policy, the stream can be proposed for removal from the trout stocking program. Given legislation presently being considered, it is unclear at this point that removal will be a given.

I would add that only part of this stream section is on public land. The rest is privately owned and the private property that I saw yesterday was posted against hunting, but fishing was permitted. It is unclear in most cases statewide and here, what will happen to fishing being permitted when a Class A segment is no longer stocked. One needs to consider that a very minor state stocking program, such as the one on Blymire, can be the key to keeping such waters open to public fishing with little impact on the wild trout population.

Good stuff, thanks for the report.
I'm sure not every stream check produces wild trout... but reports like this continue to bolster my optimistic personal view that wild trout are doing very well in central PA.
Anyway, I think many of us here on PAFF, myself included, hope you can survey this particular stream again soon and upgrade to Class A and drop the stocking. I do, however, realize the dilemma between removal of stocking and potential posting.....and that this requires a delicate touch and perhaps some patience before changes are implemented.

While I do understand why anglers would have concern over the PFBC conducting electroshocking surveys during the fall spawning season, I believe one should look at the "big picture" in trout management.

In the spring FBC are very busy with the fishing season in full swing, and further, streams are crowded with anglers...not a good time to shock.

In the summer the water temps rise and the trout are vulnerable...NG to shocking, too.

Now the fall comes and the trout are spawning...don't shock now?

Winter grips the State and the streams as well as the roads get all locked up with ice and snow...you get the idea.

While I'm sure some wild fish are lost due to shocking anytime of year, a greater good is served by doing these surveys to document the wild trout streams, IMO. Kudos to the FBC.

I give the FBC, and all the guys and gals involved two thumbs up for getting out there, especially at this time year, and making an effort to take steps to preserve wild trout streams for everyone's benefit.

I don't know this stream, but in this case I would support continued stocking over wild fish if no stocking meant no access.

I remember griping about shocking on the LL about 10 years ago during a survey. It has to be done, and I've witnessed enough surveys that I'm sure PFBC does the very good job at preventing mortality.

Mike,

Any chance I can come out and witness a survey this year? I'm an avid nature photographer and I'd love to document the process if possible.

Jeff

Great news Mike, that's quite a change in 9 years. By my math one trout every 9 feet of stream.

Just my 02 but I don't see a reason not to stock brookies over browns, because in another ten years you might start finding wild native brookies turning up, and if you don't stock brookies how will you ever know when the streams are improved enough to become brook trout streams again ?

Good news all round - not least that this is no longer a one off.

Back