Black Moshannon

sarce

sarce

I have heard from several sources that there are some native brook trout in the stream below the lake. I have fished it 3 times and have only caught stocked fish and a handful of wild browns. Nothing wrong with that, just starting to wonder if there actually are any natives to be found there. I would think they would be easier to catch than the wild browns. Can anyone confirm their presence?

I cannot confirm or deny it but, given that the upper end of the stream below the dam downstream to the Huckleberry Bridge warms up significantly and there are no feeder streams of consequence, I'd bet against it. Once you get below the bridge and below Tom Long's Dam, there are quite a few springs as well as feeders that do have wild brookies, among them Benner Run. The stream below Tom Long's does not parallel any roads for quite a while so you need to walk. That keeps the ribbon clerks out, especially once the bloom wear off opening day.

That's beautiful country down there. Worth the walk in. Good luck.

I've caught a few natives last year, actually more than a few. They are there.

Fish Benner Run if you are looking for some natives. There are wild Brook Trout in there, for sure.

jifigz wrote:
Fish Benner Run if you are looking for some natives.

And if you love rhododenddron jungles.

And if you love rhododenddron jungles.

haha good point. I remember fishing Benner for the first time with my brother a year or two ago near a bunch of camps. We fished about a mile and half of it, and for 90% of it, i couldn't even stand up because of the rhodo tunnel.

Back