Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Big Spring creek

From Philadelphia
Moved out from North Idaho in march. After I read the posts about the chance for a big one in Big Spring, I drove the 2+ hours from Philly to try my luck.
I spotted some nice fish, 16-18 inch rainbows and then...I saw HIM. Had to be 23", no exaggeration it looked like a steelhead got in the creek!
I spooked him, but probably not more than he spooked me. I threw every fly I had at him. And finally, he attacked a dry fly. Had my 5 weight doubled over for a good 10 seconds before he got in the thick brush I was casting at and it was game over :-/ a fish of a lifetime in my opinion...and I fished the Mo regularly.
I know where he his and I will be back!
Thanks for all the tips guys.

Posted on: 2013/8/25 23:28

Re: Big Spring creek

From Shipp
Yep...there's some bigguns in there. Must have pretty exciting when he took your fly.

Posted on: 2013/8/26 9:01

From SCPA
Welcome, and congrats! Just hooking up with one of those biggins is a feat in itself. The limestoners certainly do grow them big - next time you're in the area, give falling springs and/or the letort a try too. Both give you a chance at a fish of a lifetime, but they don't come easy!

Posted on: 2013/8/26 15:38

From Philadelphia
Fished Falling springs at the end of June. The storied upper part was choked with cress. Honest, couldn't find a postage stamp to drop a fly into. Was new to the area, so maybe not in a prime place.

The section through town was challenging but productive. Upstream casts of soft hackle PT & GRHE got me a couple. Loved the area!
Coughlin

Posted on: 2013/8/26 17:12

Wish they'd remove the rainbows and restore the brook trout.

Posted on: 2013/8/26 17:50

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
I wish they would remove the brook trout and create a super species of bows with lasers on their head to rule the stream.

Posted on: 2013/8/26 18:24

http://bugflingerandfeatherlasher.blogspot.com/

From Bucks County
Fish lasers are a PITA while midging with 7x. In all seriousness, I have visited BS countless times and have never even had one of the big rainbows so much as look at my offerings. I'm sure you will go back after that!

Posted on: 2013/8/26 19:15

From down the block from the Letort.
Quote:
Wish they'd remove the rainbows and restore the brook trout.

Keep wishing.

Unlike the glorious days of yore that we all remember 100yrs ago, , Big Spring will never again be a series of huge brookie filled mill ponds. And unless they poison the stream once again and again and then over and over yet again so it's entirely, entirely, devoid of life, and also not stock the lower open water at all (yeah, that'll fly) and then replant the brookies....sorry the rainbows are there to stay. They will never be eradicated, so enjoy it for the amazing fishery it is and you've just gotta let go of that dream.

They've been fighting lake trout in the lakes of the Rockies for how long now? They've poisoned the lakes, trying to kill 'em all, they've instituted mandatory harvest and guess what? They come back, they're still there, it's the nature of the beast, Mother Nature is a tough old broad. Big Spring is amazingly better for the brookies now more than ever in recent 20-30-40 yr history, enjoy it, and also enjoy those amazing wild 'bows, they're all a lot of fun.

Especially when a fat 20"er takes that ant off the surface.
Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 2013/8/26 20:02

From Ferguson Twp.
I'm pickin up what you're layin down,I can see where that would be fun.

Posted on: 2013/8/26 21:09

From Philadelphia
I will definitely be back! Our friendship has just begun I just hope next time to shake hands with him.
I'll also check out and research falling spring when up that way again.
Thanks for the hospitality fellas.

Posted on: 2013/8/26 21:42

From Mount Joy, PA
Lord knows there are enough BS threads on here to last a year, but it's important to remember that BS is seeing a lot of pressure these days. You may see some big fish, but the bigger fish are the ones you don't see. You'd be surprised at some of the areas they'd come out of... If you want to increase your chances, fish for the fish you don't see, not the ones you can see. Having a 20"+ fish charge from under a weedbed is pretty exciting!

Posted on: 2013/8/27 11:25

From Ephrata, PA
I once rose one of those pig 'bows to a dry fly (Sal and Slay saw it!), but he didn't take it. That was the only time I ever saw one of the hogs rise. Congrats on getting him on a dry fly!

Posted on: 2013/8/27 11:38

Made my first trip out to Big Spring this morning. Indeed, it's an amazing stream. Managed a few small rainbows and a few beautiful brookies. Only fished about 2 hours, and unfortunately wasn't able to spot any bruisers... If I had time to stop at the Letort, I could have had an opportunity for PA's trifecta of wild trout. There's always next weekend... Here's a CHUNKY rainbow, and a small brookie from today.

Attach file:

jpg  image.jpg (163.57 KB)
1668_5224fc3b1170d.jpg 720X540 px

jpg  image.jpg (144.19 KB)
1668_5224fc4809a25.jpg 720X540 px

Posted on: 2013/9/2 17:00

Stories like that make me want to fish Big Spring. I'll admit I've never fished it, or the Letort, yet live well within driving distance.

Posted on: 2013/9/2 18:33
"I think I fish, in part, because it's an anti-social, bohemian business that, when gone about properly, puts you forever outside the mainstream culture without actually landing you in an institution." John Gierach

From Pennsylvania
That's a beauty of a bow odizz17, what'd it take?

Posted on: 2013/9/2 18:47

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
171 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
4 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com