Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Big Spring/Newville????

Quote:

Fishidiot wrote:
Quote:

albud1962 wrote:
What is curious is that the creek was a series of mill ponds which held many fish. Wouldn't dissolved oxygen and thermal impacts been a problem back then?

One would think. The dissolved oxygen problem these days isn't severe....but is measurable. Why the difference between then and now? Someone more knowledgeable than I would have to tackle this one. Perhaps it may be connected to the fact that back in the day there was consistent and meticulous channel maintenance performed by the mill owners(?).

The lack of trees in the old photos of Cumberland Valley limestoners back in the day is really striking.
Definitely a lot more trees along BS and Letort today.

How good was the trout population back in the day? In the upper stretches? And the rest of the way down? Most of the angling writing seems to deal with the upper end.

And when are talking about "back in the day" do you mean 1970? 1930? 1880? 1840? 1770? It probably makes a difference!

It may be that the trout population in the lower stretches has been low for a long time.

Posted on: 12/13 12:01

From Gettysburg
Troutbert:
Pm sent.....

Posted on: 12/13 13:41

From LV
Quote:

Fishidiot wrote:
Troutbert:
Pm sent.....
Come on Dave why's the big secret? I think we all would like to know.

Posted on: 12/19 16:51

From Monessen, PA
Chaz, wouldn't that take all the fun out of it?

Posted on: 12/19 20:20

From Da 'Berg, PA
Quote:

greenghost wrote:
Quote:

Fishidiot wrote:
Quote:

albud1962 wrote:
What is curious is that the creek was a series of mill ponds which held many fish. Wouldn't dissolved oxygen and thermal impacts been a problem back then?

Perhaps it may be connected to the fact that back in the day there was consistent and meticulous channel maintenance performed by the mill owners(?).

I have heard that too, FI... the mill owners not only did channel work but also would periodically drain their ponds and flush them... in essence giving the stream an enema.

yup the mill pools would have been connected by a series of locks or hatches - some still exist on the man made side streams of the Test and Itchen chalkstreams in England.

they would systematically 'flush' the entire system during a big flood by opening the hatches from upstream downwards in January or February.

if you ever read an old English fly fishing book you'll often read mentions of the 'hatch pool' - often with a big trout trout in its depths.

the rest of the year the hatches were often kept 3/4 closed and the water rushes through and oxygenates the mill pond - often a great spot for a heavy nymph like Sawyers Killer Bug.

in March they would then physically get in the channels and mill pools with scythes and clean out the weed - using it as fertiliser on veggies.

Thats why even though Brown Trout spawn in the fall, the traditional Trout Season doesn't start until April - we inherited the season from England !

Posted on: 12/19 21:36

From down the block from the Letort.

Quote:
And when are talking about "back in the day" do you mean 1970? 1930? 1880? 1840? 1770? It probably makes a difference!

It may be that the trout population in the lower stretches has been low for a long time.

troutbert, if you have or can find a copy, the first bit of Charlie Fox's Rising Trout has a bunch of historic blurbs that recount the fishing in Big Spring and other CV limestoners.

And regarding the oxygen issue, with the mill ponds in place, it's possible in my mind that the outlets helped oxygenate the stream since they were basically a chain of small waterfalls churning the water between the impoundments, instead of the long, uninterupted placid flows we've seen during the last few decades...

Posted on: 12/20 8:30

From LV
Quote:

troutbert wrote:
Quote:

Fishidiot wrote:
Quote:

albud1962 wrote:

One would think. The dissolved oxygen problem these days isn't severe....but is measurable. Why the difference between then and now? Someone more knowledgeable than I would have to tackle this one. Perhaps it may be connected to the fact that back in the day there was consistent and meticulous channel maintenance performed by the mill owners(?).

The lack of trees in the old photos of Cumberland Valley limestoners back in the day is really striking.
Definitely a lot more trees along BS and Letort today.

How good was the trout population back in the day? In the upper stretches? And the rest of the way down? Most of the angling writing seems to deal with the upper end.

For what it's worth, historical accounts (things I've read) have said that anglers would travel there from Philadelphia during the late 1700's early 1800's for the fishing, it was that good.

Posted on: 12/28 16:13

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com