HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 »

Re: Berks county class a info

From Lehigh Valley
Quote:

Foxgap239 wrote:
I had never heard of Ali G until today and now I'm pissin' myself laughing at that clip! How did ole C Everett not break down???????

Haha - I know right! Ali G was one of the best "trollers" in history. You'd think the Koopster would catch on and realize that this dude can't be serious, but he can't see past his own ignorance...

Posted on: 2012/9/18 14:43

From Lehigh Valley
Quote:

gfen wrote:
Members-only'ing a forum keeps the crawlers out. No crawlers, no Google. How do I know? I run a fly fishingish website which is locked to all non-members, and our information doesn't end up on the Googles.

Oh snap, the 5-digit-post-number-Sasha-Grey-avatar-guy comments in reference to my statements. I'm honored!

I didn't realize the crawlers couldn't see members-only stuff. Is this true across the board, or could it be different for different forum platforms (Xoops, vBulliten, etc.)? I do agree that "members-onlying" stuff could be severely limiting to a forum like this.

Can I be part of your super secret fly fishingish site?

Posted on: 2012/9/18 14:51

From Ephrata, PA
Fox-watch his religion round table. Hilarious.
"Is Jesus real, or is he just your dad in a red suit?"

Posted on: 2012/9/18 15:03

From Lehigh Valley
Quote:

Kabutt wrote:
I didn't realize the crawlers couldn't see members-only stuff. Is this true across the board, or could it be different for different forum platforms (Xoops, vBulliten, etc.)? I do agree that "members-onlying" stuff could be severely limiting to a forum like this.

Can I be part of your super secret fly fishingish site?

Crawlers cannot log in as they don't have the neccessary permissions to do so, regardless of platform. Membership required, no Google trawling. Period.

Restricting access to the prior forums won't limit anything, it will create a massive influx of new users none of which will provide any useful content. The next statement, of course, "why not make a post count limit?" Because whatever you set that limit to will be the requirement people will meet in the lamest way, and no additional content will be generated.

Anyone can be part of the aforementioned site, its not secret at all. However, its also not appropriate to troll for members, nor will I.

Posted on: 2012/9/18 15:08

From Mont Co, Pa
Quote:

gfen wrote:
I've sworn off responding to this thread, which is a shame because there's some champion statements made in here.

That said, the following statements have no relevance the drama, so I'm able to weigh in without violating the spirit of my prior statement:

Just couldn't help yourself, could you? lmao Those statements are indeed relevant TO the drama. Spirit violated.

Isn't there a SPECIFIC thread for this non-sense?

Posted on: 2012/9/18 15:11

From Lehigh Valley
Quote:

gfen wrote:
Anyone can be part of the aforementioned site, its not secret at all. However, its also not appropriate to troll for members, nor will I.

Wait, was I trolling for your website information? Or do you believe that your mentioning of your website would be construed as trolling for members?

Posted on: 2012/9/18 15:34

From LV
The problem as I see it is the same problem that all anglers have, that is, fly anglers are lazya nd won't go out of their way to search out streams for themselves. They'll keep going to the same streams they've always fished, places like Valley, Tully the LL, Saucon, and so forth because they don't want to expand their horizons.
There is only one stream that I've fished this year that I've gone back to another time, that creek is Pine Creek. The reason is it's big, even when it's crowded you can find places to fish where you don't get bothered. Just about ny other place I don't want people seeing me fishing there, because many of them will simply jam on the breaks and stop and fish right where I am, it's like I'm carrying billboard, that says fish here.
It's not that I don't like other anglers, I simply want to fish alone most of the time. There are a lot of places I won't fish on weekends just because.
Again though, anglers are lazy and don't bust out of it.

Posted on: 2012/9/19 21:43

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
You have fished the LL more then once this year. Just sayin....

Posted on: 2012/9/19 22:08

http://bugflingerandfeatherlasher.blogspot.com/

From Eastern PA
Quote:

The_Sasquatch wrote:
In this case, I found two instances in the last year where both pcray and jdaddy named this stream (in a thread about stocking class A's and another about kid rodeos), so I just figured, "it's done". They weren't the first to name the stream on here (its hardly in either one's nature to "out" a stream that can't handle the pressure), so I'm assuming their attitude was, "It's already been outed" as well.

Sasquatch, your logic that "it's already burned so let me rehash it" when the OP clearly was trying to protect a resource and made the mistake of PM'ing you is flawed imo. Even though I don't post here often any longer, the OP had PM'd me and I replied giving him advice on the stream. But spelling out the first 4 or 5 letters then stating "ooops I made a mistake in mentioning it" to only then go on and continue with the position that it's a known stream is faulty, again imo. To go further and say "it's out of the bottle so what do we do about it?" when you were the one who unbottled it seems quite silly. A lot of fence straddling going on.

I can only speak for myself, however my mention of Wyomissing involved stocking fish in class A limestone streams. Hardly a spot burn. If you look a little further back you will find an exhaustive stream report that references amazing catches and stream side pizza delivery. There is a difference. Surely you can see that?

Having said that, not only is PAFF increasing pressure on this stream, TCO certainly does as well. I have respect for both parties however each is contributing to an increase in pressure. However, at the end of the day, its a stream that used to have some decent sized fish which has been decimated and now contains small levels of naturally reproducing browns in the lower section and reproducing rainbows in the upper section. Good luck finding a fish over 8". If you do it will be a stocker left over from a kiddie festival.

Pat, go ahead with your inclination and burn every stream to the ground. You don't live here any longer, what do you care? It will be a ton of fun watching all the pressure spread out.

Look folks, there are a TON of class A streams not only in Berks County but throughout the region. Go onto the PFBC and check them out. They are on the list for a reason. If one wants to spot burn every class a stream in a given county simply go onto PFBC, copy and paste each class a stream. Again, they are on the list for a reason.

Frankly I don't care one way or another. I spend a huge amount of volunteer time making these streams better for the fish, for the environment and for the fishermen. Mentioning a stream is not a cardinal sin. Bragging about your catches and gloating is any given persons prerogative. High fives and NICE FISH all the way around. The spot burning discussion is very tiring and off putting to everyone. Why not just fish?

Posted on: 2012/9/19 23:26

Edited by jdaddy on 2012/9/20 0:05:01

From Ephrata, PA
I admit I do walk the fence when it comes to this.

Originally I did PM the OP, as the thread went on I kind of just got pissed off at the whole "spirit" of what was going on. I was feeling like this was getting to the point of ridiculousness. That's when I just flat out said the stream name. After the first few posts, I couldn't help but feel like its a shame that some folks were intimidated to the level of feeling like they have to leave somewhat criptic messages when asking for help.

I agree, there is a difference between hero posts and how you mentioned the Wyo. I didn't mean to throw you or Pat under the bus in any way at all. I saw what was going on in this thread as no different from how you or Pat mentioned the stream. Different topics, obviously, but certainly not going into the realm of the type of post you referenced about pizza delivery.

"Mentioning a stream is not a cardinal sin"
I guess that was REALLY my point. Didn't mean to muddy it all up.

Posted on: 2012/9/20 9:17

Quote:
After the first few posts, I couldn't help but feel like its a shame that some folks were intimidated to the level of feeling like they have to leave somewhat criptic messages when asking for help.

How do you know they felt intimidated to the point they had to ask cryptic questions, did you ask them and they told you? Or did you once again assume something like you and others did in Sal’s kiss off post (someone must have PM’d him something bad about writing stream reports so that‘s why he‘s not doing it anymore)?

Maybe, just maybe the person posting didn’t want to get specific for good reason. Let it be.

And you are right, mentioning a stream is not a cardinal sin because just mentioning a stream does not necessarily separate it from other streams depending on the question. Example.

Someone posts, “I am going to Potter County this weekend, want to fish some mountain stream can anyone help?” Someone writes back, “Try any of these 10 streams (names them)” and stream X happens to be an absolute goldmine for 12” brook trout. Nothing was said and stream X is just one of 10 streams named. Now if the response included (or someone added), “Stream X is probably the best stream there and it has hundreds of brooks in the 12” range I caught 100 in one day last year,” stream X is now separated and highlighted from the other 9 streams.

There’s a huge difference.

And it’s not just about remote streams because most people aren’t going to drive 4 hours to fish some remote stream no matter what is said (it may attract the attention of those people who were going up that way anyway that would have fished other streams) but for the most part it’s not going to convince someone to drive 4 hours. HOWEVER, tell something special or single out a stream that’s within 1 hour from densely populated areas and it probably will attract attention.

Posted on: 2012/9/20 9:50

From Ephrata, PA
I don't believe I assumed anything w/ Sal's "Kiss off" post. You must have me confused w/ someone else.

Perhaps "intimidation" wasn't the right word, but the comment about all the back and forth crap led me to believe that the poster was timid to post the stream name simply because of the "crap". I apologize if I assumed incorrectly.

Posted on: 2012/9/20 10:11

From Parkesburg
I swear this place gets stranger by the day.

Greenweenie, are you from New Jersey?

Posted on: 2012/9/20 10:23

Chaz wrote
Quote:
Spot burning is all a scam. Can't help with at least a location, town or stream name. I've fished plenty of Berks streams, and I'm always willing to share, but there's a negative element on this board that doesn't want people naming any stream. It's a very different place now then it was 5 or 10 years agos. IT's gone downhill because of the complaints about spot burning.

Chaz Then Wrote
Quote:
Just about ny other place I don't want people seeing me fishing there, because many of them will simply jam on the breaks and stop and fish right where I am, it's like I'm carrying billboard, that says fish here.

Kind of a bit contradictory if you ask me. Writing up streams on a forum is a scam and nobody pays attention to the reports but yet you’re afraid to be seen fishing a stream because it advertises to everyone who drives by to stop and fish here? Interesting logic there.

But you know what, the first and last sentence of your last post actually sums up quite nicely the big debate on spot burning: (1) most people are too lazy and don’t go out of their way to find new streams and (2) you, (like many of us), consider peace and solitude a huge factor in the fishing experience. And that right there is what upsets the majority of people who are against outing streams – the loss of peace and solitude. Once that is gone it cannot be replaced. It is not like stocked trout that can be replaced by the good old white truck. Many people have a stream or two that flies under the radar screen where they can find some good fishing in peace and solitude and most of these streams are within an hour drive of their house. And then along comes someone who happens to stumble upon it and then decides to broadcast it to the world for everyone to see and all the lazy folks who don’t explore and never would have gone there in the first place are now handed a new place to try on a silver platter with ZERO effort. And let’s be real, people don’t go to a new stream, get skunked, and write a report saying don’t go here it sucks. Most outings of streams are the hero reports of went here, found this, caught these, great stream.

And in some instances, the addition of even just 2-3 new fishermen to the stream can totally wreck the peace and solitude experience because in many instances it's not the whole stream that is really good but rather 3-4 small sections.

Posted on: 2012/9/20 10:25

NickR,

Yes I am so what's the difference? I've said that before.

You seem to have this strange obsession of me. Creepy.

Posted on: 2012/9/20 10:28

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
45 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
2 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com