Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 6 »

Re: Berks county class a info

From Ephrata, PA
Word.

Seriously, the Wyomissing is hardly a secret. I've seen it mentioned on this board countless times. I appreciate the OP discretion, but it is what it is. Any internet search will turn up many posts about the stream from this site.

I ran into several nice fishermen today. All spin fishermen, many fathers and sons, grandfathers, grandsons, that kind of touchy feely crap. Nice folks. Many of them were interested in seeing how fly fishing would produce on the stream. One guy had never even seen a fly rod up close. We talked for a little bit about the benefits of fly fishing, and about the excitement of watching a trout slam a dry. Good times. I always like fishing there. You get two kinds of comments. The first are from other fishermen as I described, the second are from people who seem shocked that there are actually trout in the stream!

Posted on: 2012/9/15 19:47

From Berks County
I never really used to give a turd about spot burning. But I must admit, this particular stream sees more pressure today than it did a year ago... a lot more. I live 3 blocks from this stream, and know it well. I absolutely see more pressure after posts on here mention the stream. I never used to believe that something like that could really influence pressure on the stream until I spoke with a spin fisherman I met on the stream who told me he found out about the stream on this site. In addition, many of the larger fish are being taken from the stream. I have seen it myself. Take it for what it's worth. I'm with Pat. I wouldn't mind seeing the the stream reports and such on the members only section.

Posted on: 2012/9/16 19:24

From Ephrata, PA
Oh I absolutely think that the stream reports and the fly fishing location forums should be viewable by registered users only.

The question for me is, what do we do, given that is not the case? I hate to hear stories like the one you just shared, Zen, so what do we do w/ it?

Posted on: 2012/9/16 21:51

From Ephrata, PA
And maybe we should move this to the OT forum or something, or discuss via PMs, I don't know. I just don't want to work against what Jack said.

Posted on: 2012/9/16 21:53

From Parkesburg
Isn't Wyomissing Creek off limits to fishing to non residents. Could have swore it was part of Berks County Conservancy and there are signs placed along the stream and park that only allow residents to use the stream and park area. If that is the case it is not a good idea to draw attention to the stream.

Posted on: 2012/9/16 23:41

From Eastern PA
Quote:

zenherper wrote:
I never really used to give a turd about spot burning. But I must admit, this particular stream sees more pressure today than it did a year ago... a lot more. I live 3 blocks from this stream, and know it well. I absolutely see more pressure after posts on here mention the stream. I never used to believe that something like that could really influence pressure on the stream until I spoke with a spin fisherman I met on the stream who told me he found out about the stream on this site. In addition, many of the larger fish are being taken from the stream. I have seen it myself. Take it for what it's worth. I'm with Pat. I wouldn't mind seeing the the stream reports and such on the members only section.

Well put Zen and I agree with you completely on the pressure and harvest.

Nick, I can see where you would get that impression however it is not correct. You may PM me for details.

Posted on: 2012/9/17 0:49

From Ephrata, PA
I believe there was discussion about those signs on here a while back.

So once a stream like this has been "outed", what do we do?

Posted on: 2012/9/17 6:10

From Monessen, PA
Quote:

The_Sasquatch wrote:

Fish the streams that are NOW seeing less pressure if you think that others have shifted their focus to the secret stream.

Posted on: 2012/9/17 7:16

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Nick, the signs are there, but illegal and not enforced. The public is allowed to be there, as the park was made with the help of state money, not purely Wyo borough money.

Wyo borough has been informed by the PFBC that it is open to fishing by the public and that it can't have the residents only rule. Their response apparantly was that they wouldn't enforce it.

To my chagrin, the PFBC seemed to leave it at that. Personally, even if they are meaningless, I think they should be forced to take the signs down.

Posted on: 2012/9/17 8:08

From Lehigh Valley
Quote:

The_Sasquatch wrote:

You don't do anything. Congratulations, you've learned a lesson.

How you choose to apply this knowledge in the future is entirely up to you.

Posted on: 2012/9/17 8:34

From Chester County
Quote:

gfen wrote:
Quote:

The_Sasquatch wrote:

That's why Gary never strays from his home, he refuses to fish anywhere that's been "burned"....

Posted on: 2012/9/17 8:40

From Berks County
Quote:

zenherper wrote:

I couldn't agree more, but if you would ask one of the pioneers of spot burning (Sal), he would disagree with you. Even though he lives in Lancaster County. I guess the people that live in Berks County and are near the stream often don't know what they are talking about.

Posted on: 2012/9/17 11:23

From Ephrata, PA
Quote:

gfen wrote:
Quote:

The_Sasquatch wrote:

My personal take is, I'll never name a stream unless its already been done. I just don't want to step on anybody's toes. I readily admit 80% of the streams I've fished in the past year or so I've learned about on here, mostly from PMs. In those instances, I would NEVER broadcast that stream on the public forum, unless its already been done. In this case, I found two instances in the last year where both pcray and jdaddy named this stream (in a thread about stocking class A's and another about kid rodeos), so I just figured, "it's done". They weren't the first to name the stream on here (its hardly in either one's nature to "out" a stream that can't handle the pressure), so I'm assuming their attitude was, "It's already been outed" as well. This is where I was coming from with my question. Once its been "outed", how do we handle it on the board? Do we just throw our hands up and say, "what's done is done. We can talk about X stream openly now"?

Posted on: 2012/9/17 11:42

From Philadelphia
Quote:

The_Sasquatch wrote:
Once its been "outed", how do we handle it on the board? Do we just throw our hands up and say, "what's done is done. We can talk about X stream openly now"?

Unfortunately there are those on this board who would do somersaults in their underwear if no one ever named a stream again. Bottom line is, you cannot please all of the people some of the time and you can't please some people all of the time. So please yourself! You have a great common sense about you and I believe you use your best judgement but even that will not sit right with some of our brethren. Stop trying to please and be you!

Just sayin..................

Posted on: 2012/9/17 12:16

From Ephrata, PA
Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 2012/9/17 12:23

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 6 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
59 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
2 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com