Allegheny River Help

P

penns1023

I'm making my first to fish the Allegheny River at Kinzua in two weeks and I was looking for some information on what to expect. I seen the USGS temperature gauges at Kinzua Dam are saying the river is in the 70s. Is that gauge accurate? Is the trout fishing decent this time of year or is it mostly warmwater species?

Thanks for any info.

-Pat

http://troutslayer.blogspot.com/

Can be great this time of year.
Think big, streamers, buggers, crawfish colors have been working best. 4-5 inch baits needed to interest those big Brownies.
Watch the gauges anything under 2200 is wadeable anything above that and it can get a little pushy.....

Trout are scattered all the way from Dixon Island to warren, The main river flow beside Dixon is a nice run to hit.

Thanks for the info. I was a little worried when I seen the river temps on the usgs page that it would be too warm for trout. We have been having some cold nights, but the temperatures at kinzua dam gauge for the most part seem unchanged.

We will be floating the river in a two man pontoon. The plan is to fish streamers and do some nymphing in likely looking spots. Has the muskie fishing begun to pick up at all yet?

-Pat

http://troutslayer.blogspot.com/

Cinnamon caddis. #14-16
The dam act as a big aerator so 70 deg. isn't a problem until you get about 3-4 islands down.(depending on flow)

good point, people often forget its all about the DO, and not the temps. However, there is a correlation between the two.

is there a ramp in warren?

PM is fine

I think there is one in Betts Park.

Hit the river two days ago and couldn't buy a Trout. Managed to catch one Smallie though.
Did see a very large Rainbow 20"+ take somthing off the surface about 6 feet to the side of me.

Thanks Dano, I will be on the Delaware for a couple days trout fishing before I head over to the Allegheny, so if the water is too warm for trout on the Allegheny, I am prepared to throw big flies for muskies. I added a few pictures on my blog of some of the muskie flies I tied... http://troutslayer.blogspot.com/

Thanks again,
Pat

Pat. Be careful floating the entire way to Betts with low flows. If the wind is wrong it could make for a miserable day. We usually float to Betts with the DB but only when we have the motor. I'd suggest talking with the canoe rental place at the top end of town. You could easily yank a raft out there and it would cut off the last 2 miles of fairly unproductive water. Any questions, shoot Pete or I an email and we can connect. Check our site for a short video clip from a recent allegheny float, including a surprise Muskie on the fly! Best of luck.

This section of the Allegheny really isn't very good. Probably be better off sticking with the Delaware.

If you do float down to Bett's there is one piece of rough water behind the Refinery. Looks worse than it actually is. The last 2 miles of "unproductive water" hold some pretty good bass.

Temps shouldn't be a problem now they have to a bottom release.
Down to 60 degrees and dropping.

Did you find the water flow chart? It sounds like it but if not you should, like a guy on another board pointed out to me, they post 3 days before any major changes in the release. But man that could get really hairy if they ramped up the release flow while you were wading, though on a boat could be just as scary...

One day ill buy my pa liscence, and I'll be all over those waters... But for now ill just read and learn. And either, buy a liscence if I find the extra money, pretty much as soon as the fish start getting real active. I'll splurge on one, and regret not getting it earlier...

Though on a side note, I was up on the ny side a few nights ago and man, it's really sad seeing the resavore so low... Like pushing 20' down...

"....they post 3 days before any major changes in the release...."

Their forecast isn't alway dependable.
I've been caught on that river when they've decided to release water above the published 3-day schedule.
The water right now will be cloudy due to sediment release. THis occurs when they first open the lower gates and gradually clears through the early weeks of Oct.

Thanks for all the help everyone. Check out my blog at http://troutslayer.blogspot.com/ for pictures from the West Branch of the Delaware and Allegheny. No muskies on the Allegheny, but got some big trout!

-Pat

Back