Allegheny National Park in NY

fishingnoob

fishingnoob

Hey guys. I am going on a camping trip to Allegheny National Park in NY the weekend of August 8th. I plan on trying some of the wild trout streams in the area but I'm not sure if the time of year/conditions are going to be suitable. We will be camping in the Quaker Run watershed. If anyone has fished around that area and knows anything about the streams (Wolf Run, English Creek, Coon Run), any info would be appreciated.

I grew up in that area but have not fished there in many years. I think you will find that trout fishing in the park (state park btw) is mostly a stocked fishery, including in Quaker Run, the lakes and Redhouse. There are some wild brookies in tiny streams like Wolf Run but they're generally very small and a relatively rare resource on that side of the state line in particular so please put them all back. Have fun, but I would keep your expectations for the wild trout fishing modest.

You are correct Will. I will most likely stick to Quaker Run which is DHALO from the lake down to where we will be camping. And yes I did read about the importance of releasing any wilds. The site said that during this time of year the wild streams could be reduced to only a trickle, so I will check them out but probably not fish. Thanks for the tips

Back